Print to file (PDF? Pict?) for Mini vMac?

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

AHunter3
Tinkerer

Print to file (PDF? Pict?) for Mini vMac?

Post by AHunter3 »

Under System 6.0.8 / Mini vMac, I ought to be able to print to some kind of file, even though without networking cant' print to an actual printer. I think Adobe Acrobat's PDFWriter came along in the post-Sys6 world, and likewise the freeware Print to PDF, but wasn't Print2Pict available back in System 6 days?

I found (finally!) old versions of Print2Pict — 1.0 and 1.3 — and installed them. Chooser sees them and lets me select Print2Pict as printer, giving me the standard warning about selecting Page Setup in all open applications.

But when I try to print from within any program, it says there's no printer or that the printer driver needs to be reinstalled etc.

Has any vMac user in here gotten a form of print to file working under System 6? If so, what are you using?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Print to file (PDF? Pict?) for Mini vMac?

Post by adespoton »

Have you tried using the LaserWriter chooser extension to print to postscript?
AHunter3
Tinkerer

Re: Print to file (PDF? Pict?) for Mini vMac?

Post by AHunter3 »

Hmm... seemed like a good idea, so I installed from System Additions disk (6.0.8). But it's behaving the same way as Print2Pict 1.x: Chooser lets me select the printer, but various applications (Photoshop 1.0, SuperPaint, MacWrite 4.6) will not let me do Page Setup or Print, saying "There is no Print resource on the startup disk, or there is no printer selected from the Chooser" (MacWrite) or "Unable to print. SuperPaint could not find the printer resource file or it has been damaged" or "Could not complete the 'Page Setup...' command because of a disk error" (Photoshop).

Files installed: Laser Prep, LaserWriter, PrintMonitor.

Also tried: booting from System Startup and installing (custom installation, software for LaserWriter) onto the target virtual HD, same result.

Also tried: switching from MultiFinder to just Finder.

Well, I was previously thinking the issue was with Print2Pict not playing nicely with System 6.0.8, but now I'm thinking something else is amiss?

... >> yes definitely. Did a fresh install from the ground up to a new virtual HD and it works fine, so a resource is indeed corrupted on my main HD and that's the problem. I'll get it sorted.