"CD is Write-Protected" Error

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Lovenu
Space Cadet

"CD is Write-Protected" Error

Post by Lovenu »

Originally started this topic in the SheepShaver thread I made if you need more info or context. Here is the thread.

To summarize though, I was trying to emulate a specific Jumpstart game and having issues. It ran in Basilisk II but the animations went by too quickly to be playable. Tried to run it in SheepShaver, but it kept freezing on the intro logo and wouldn't progress.

Someone suggested I try Mini vMac, but every time I tried to mount the .iso file directly into the emulator, it said the "CD is write-protected". When I tried to do the ImportFl method to get around that like the instructions said (using a blank mounted image, trying to import it into the mounted image through ImportFl), every attempt claimed that the disk was "too full" despite being empty.

I'm running Mini vMac on my macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Here is a link to the game I'm trying to emulate.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: "CD is Write-Protected" Error

Post by adespoton »

You need your boot image to be larger than the file you're importing with ImportFL - the idea here is to take the toast image of the game, stick it inside an HFS image, and mount that as a virtual floppy inside Mini vMac. Then you can use Toast or the virtual disk mounter to mount the toast image inside Mini vMac.

The alternative may be to do this within BII since you've already got that set up -- mount the CD, and copy everything off to a regular HFS disk image, then mount THAT inside Mini vMac.

If the game requires the original CD to be present though, you'll need to copy the CD image into an HFS image and drag that onto Mini vMac.
Lovenu
Space Cadet

Post by Lovenu »

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. I'm not sure what a toast or HFS is, did you mean the blanks in the file that the Mini vMac site had for download? I don't know if I have Toast or a virtual disk mounter.

I can try mounting it in BII and I imagine I'd use Disk Copy or something like that? I don't have any hfs files currently.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Lovenu wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:09 pm Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. I'm not sure what a toast or HFS is, did you mean the blanks in the file that the Mini vMac site had for download? I don't know if I have Toast or a virtual disk mounter.

I can try mounting it in BII and I imagine I'd use Disk Copy or something like that? I don't have any hfs files currently.
Sorry; Toast is a CD writing/imaging program for Macs and is likely what was used to image the CD in the first place. HFS is the filesystem format that Mini vMac and BII can read. The HFS image you're booting from is too small to hold an entire 650-700MB CD image that you're attempting to decompress from an archive. Mini vMac, unlike BII, doesn't have a built-in virtual CD drive, and so is attempting to mount the CD image as a floppy disk, and your OS is bailing when it can't write to the disk.

This can be fixed by creating a new empty disk image that's larger than 700MB, and copying the CD image into it.

Then, in order to mount the CD image, you'll need to have already installed Toast (https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/toast-3) or http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/virtual ... cd-utility
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

From the other tread I guess that you are probably trying to mount the "JumpStart 3rd Grade.iso" image.
I am not sure how you try to mount the cd image in Mini vMac. The regular way to mount an image file would be to drag it into the running Mini vMac window or to choose "Open Disk Image..." from the File menu.

Did you try that? Mini Mac has no problem with mounting write protected disk images. Possibly this file cannot be mounted directly in Mini vMac because it is from a hybrid CD (Mac and Windows) and you will get a message that the disk is not a Macintosh disk. This may depend on the installed System version.

Which kind of Mini vMac build do you use and which System version did you install on it?