Drives Do Not Restore Size on Empty Trash

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

kevinduarte
Space Cadet

Drives Do Not Restore Size on Empty Trash

Post by kevinduarte »

Using SheepShaver Wrapper with MacOS 9. Made a few 4GB drives to render video files to (2-3GB). Once done I transfer the files to my Unix drive and out to macOS 12. Then I drag the original big file from the MacOS9 drive to the trash and delete. The drive now reports as about 2GB, not 4GB. In Get Info it still says it's a 4GB drive but has the remaining space in use. Trash is empty, and I'm viewing in List view so def no icon there. Seems like space is not restored even after a restart. Thoughts?

-K

p.s. SSW always takes two boots to pop up the MOS9 drive format dialog. Maybe related?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Drives Do Not Restore Size on Empty Trash

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The drive appears empty in the Finder window and the Trash appears empty. Could a copy of the file be on the desktop and thus occupying space on the drive?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

This is not specific to the SheepShaver Wrapper. The SheepShaver app inside is simply the a build of kanjitalk755's code (as of 1 August 2021) modified only with a different icon and bundle identifier. This question can move to the main SheepShaver forum.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

@ kevinduarte
Did you mount and check the disk image in the host macOS (while SheepShaver is not running!) to see if the file is not still in a folder that is hidden in the MacOS9 Finder?
kevinduarte
Space Cadet

Post by kevinduarte »

After running Disk First Aid under MacOS9 the volume size is restored.
kevinduarte
Space Cadet

Post by kevinduarte »

It looks like this is related to me rendering video to one of the MacOS9 virtual drives, and if the render does not complete (app hangs, MacOS9 hangs, SheepShaver must be Force Quit), space the file has used drops the drive size, but the corrupt file reports the wrong size when deleted (a much smaller one). In every case, repair drive restores it.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Yes, file system corruption happens easily with crashes or forced shutdown. That happened on real hardware Macs and it happens in the emulators.