"Sorry, there is not enough memory left for the system to play sound" I have no idea what to do

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Caettus
Space Cadet

"Sorry, there is not enough memory left for the system to play sound" I have no idea what to do

Post by Caettus »

So I'm trying to get a game working on Mac OS 9.
But it keeps giving me this error and I don't know what to do about it.
In virtual machine setting of SheepShaver I have it set to 512 MB, is that enough? is that too much? I have already tried putting it to 1000 and to 64 but both don't work.
Anybody knows what to do?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: "Sorry, there is not enough memory left for the system to play sound" I have no idea what to do

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Please give us more information:
- Which is your host system, Windows or OSX/macOS, and which version?
- Do you use a SheepShaver build downloaded from this forum? If so, which build (date? If not, which other SheepShaver download?
- Does sound work otherwise in your SheepShaver setup?
- Which game are you trying to run? Where did you get it?
- Do other games work with sound as expected?
Caettus
Space Cadet

Re: "Sorry, there is not enough memory left for the system to play sound" I have no idea what to do

Post by Caettus »

-OSX
-Yes, I use Version 2.5, 1 August 2021, universal (x86_64 and arm64)
-I'm not sure, I haven't used anything else
- I'm trying to run Timon and Pumbaa Jungle games from macintosh repositery.org
-I haven't used other games, so I'm not sure but I don't think so

Thank You!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

When you ask questions, you really should give more elaborate and more precise information.

Which version of OSX do you run on the host?

When I asked whether sound worked otherwise. I meant any sound. Do you hear for instance alert sounds? If not, maybe you did not enable sound in Sound control panel as described in the setup manual?

I forgot to ask: Did you install MacOS 9 as described in the setup manual, or do you use the OS9 boot disk image from Redundant Robot?

I do not know how you accessed the game.

I tried the game, here is what I did:

- Downloaded the Jungle_Games.toast_.sit file
- Unstuffed the file on the host using "The Unarchiver". (You can also use Stuffit Expander for OSX/macOS)
- Added the toast file to the volumes list in SheepShaver Preferences, checked the CDROM box for the file, saved and quit SheepShaver
- At next launch of SheepShaver the CD appeared on the desktop
- I did not do any installations (most are not needed on MacOS 9), just ran the "Jungle Games - PPC" application directly off the CD. It asked me to set 256 colours. The game seems to work fine. With sound. No error messages.
Caettus
Space Cadet

Post by Caettus »

Checked the sound and all of a sudden it worked!
Thank you so much, this was the first time i'm doing something like this so it was all pretty new to me.