Is there a way I can download svg files from OS X Public Beta?

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

demonlemon
Space Cadet

Is there a way I can download svg files from OS X Public Beta?

Post by demonlemon »

Apologies if this is a bit off topic but I'm looking for a way to scrape the svg files from this user interface:

Would this be feasible on SheepShaver?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Is there a way I can download svg files from OS X Public Beta?

Post by adespoton »

OS X Public Beta will only run under emulation on QEMU-PPC.

However, the installer disk image is openable under Mac OS 8.6 through macOS 12, so you should be able to grab any included assets in any of those, once you have an installed image of OS X Public Beta. Just use Disk Utility (or Disk Tools 6.x under classic Mac OS) to mount the disk image, and copy the contents off that you want.

Having said that, are you sure those are SVG files? I thought even PB used a mix of TIFF and PNG for its assets?
demonlemon
Space Cadet

Post by demonlemon »

Hi, thanks for your reply. I was able to emulate Mac OS 9.2 using UTM, within there I extracted the relevant info from the OS X Public Beta disk. Now that I have the folder on my UMT machine desktop, how can I export it to my host laptop? I'm trying to create an iso disk image but when I open it in the guest UTM machine it tells me the disk is locked...
Last edited by demonlemon on Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Create an HFS+ read/write image with Disk Utility and change the extension from dmg to img. Then drag it into your <vmname>.utmconfig/Images/ folder and restart UTM. Edit the config and the drive will automatically show up.

You can now write to it within the VM, and when you shut down the VM, you can mount it natively in the host system's Finder.

An alternative would be to use qemu-img to convert the main boot image from qcow2 to raw, which you can then name .img and mount with Disk Utility.

Another alternative is to set up an FTP server on the host and run an FTP client on the guest, or do the same with WebDAV or host file sharing and DAVE on 9.2. There's also an NFS client for 9.2 (extension loads, NFS is available from Chooser) and macOS has a built in but hidden/disabled nfs server.

You could also run 9.2's web sharing on the folder, and then browse to it from the host in a browser. All these methods except for DAVE and manipulating the disk images will strip the resource forks of the files of course.
demonlemon
Space Cadet

Post by demonlemon »

Thanks again for the reply, this is all very helpful.

I was able to use the second solution and it worked great. However, upon expecting the music player package contents, I couldn't find any actual assets, just the app icons.

Do you have any idea where I might find the TIFF and PNG asset files?

I looked into the mail package contents and there was a 'resources' folder with TIFFs... not sure why it isn't there for music player
Last edited by demonlemon on Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.