Needing help to setup OSX 10.2 in QEMU.

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Unbreakify
Student Driver

Needing help to setup OSX 10.2 in QEMU.

Post by Unbreakify »

This is my first time using QEMU, so its quite hard for me to understand what im doing.

I am trying to setup OSX 10.2 in QEMU, but the machine refuses to boot. I dont know what to do when im making a machine, its not very helpful

I am using Windows 10 x64 on an AMD Processor.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Needing help to setup OSX 10.2 in QEMU.

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Yes, too bad there is no simple GUI to set up Qemu in Windows. Qemu is complex and sees changes regularly, so maintaining a GUI would require a lot of work.
You say you want to emulate Mac OS X 10.2. Qemu has display problems with this particular version of OS X. Can you settle for some other version like 10.1 or 10.3?

What have you done so far? Did you create a virtual disk and did you edit the downloaded bat file to use your cd image to boot?
What is the content of your bat file?

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Cat_7 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:39 pm You say you want to emulate Mac OS X 10.2. Qemu has display problems with this particular version of OS X.
I'm curious: what display problems are those? I've been running 10.2 in qemu-system-ppc since 3.something.

I'm now working at ironing out kinks to make 9.1 through current run in UTM.app on macOS; 10.2 is working reasonably well, and I've got a preconfigured config file available -- all it needs is for the user to provide an install CD image and the rest is taken care of. This only works on macOS though. Nothing for Windows at this point.

If there's enough interest, I could probably create a set of batch files for Windows for each OS version, so someone would just need a copy of qemu-system-ppc from here, the batch file with instructions, and an install iso.
Unbreakify
Student Driver

Post by Unbreakify »

Cat_7 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:39 pm Hi,

Yes, too bad there is no simple GUI to set up Qemu in Windows. Qemu is complex and sees changes regularly, so maintaining a GUI would require a lot of work.
You say you want to emulate Mac OS X 10.2. Qemu has display problems with this particular version of OS X. Can you settle for some other version like 10.1 or 10.3?

What have you done so far? Did you create a virtual disk and did you edit the downloaded bat file to use your cd image to boot?
What is the content of your bat file?

Best,
Cat_7
I looked on the wiki and i decided to change the version to 10.1 to avoid these issues. I've installed MacOS 9.2 on it, but anytime i try to launch "Install MacOS X" and then press "Restart" it says "Startup disk was unable to select the Install CD as the startup disk."
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I'm curious: what display problems are those? I've been running 10.2 in qemu-system-ppc since 3.something.
Opening the disk on the desktop takes ages, menus close very slowly. Closing a finder window also takes ages.
Lots of other stuff is off: machine speed is 0, bus speed is 400 ;-)
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I've installed MacOS 9.2 on it, but anytime i try to launch "Install MacOS X"
Yes, that will not work. You should start from the 10.1 cd disk image and then install on the hard disk image.

Best,
Cat_7
mcayland
Mac Mechanic

Post by mcayland »

Cat_7 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:28 am
Opening the disk on the desktop takes ages, menus close very slowly. Closing a finder window also takes ages.
I see some display issues, but the speed seems fine here. Is there any difference between all of -M g3beige, -M mac99 and -M mac99,via=pmu in your setup?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

mac99 seems slowest
mac99,via=pmu seems a bit faster
g3beige fastest, (shows speed -2069Mhz and bus speed 67Mhz)

For all the disks will not open after double click normally. F
ile/open will be slow. File/New finder windows works OK.

Best,
Cat_7
Unbreakify
Student Driver

Post by Unbreakify »

Cat_7 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:29 am
I've installed MacOS 9.2 on it, but anytime i try to launch "Install MacOS X"
Yes, that will not work. You should start from the 10.1 cd disk image and then install on the hard disk image.

Best,
Cat_7
Done, but anytime i boot it up, it can't do anything. The mouse wont move.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Cat_7 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:28 am
Fascinating... just decided to do some tests. For me using via=pmu, it takes ~30 seconds from OpenBIOS screen to fully functional desktop. File->New Finder Window is almost instantaneous. Closing that window is instant. Running most programs is significantly faster than when I was actively using 10.2 on a DV SE.

The one really weird bug is that anything started from the HD image on the desktop is REALLY slow. If I instead do the File -> New Finder Window method, I don't run into that issue. I've never noticed that bug before because I normally keep drives hidden on the desktop and just open a new window with command-N.

Apple System Profiler takes about half a second for me to run. Machine Speed: 900 MHz, Bus speed: 100MHz. 256MB RAM. Mac OS X 10.2.8 (6R73).

Other issue: 3.5 seconds to full Safari launch, at which point I KP. Interesting, as I'm sure this didn't use to happen. Maybe I just never tried 10.2 Safari under QEMU and just stuck with IE.

[edit] Nope, the funny business only happens if I've first attempted to open the disk from the desktop. Safari doesn't crash if launched in any other way, including via File->New Finder Window. Explains why I've never seen issues before. Not sure what's happening, but attempting to open desktop icons appears to be the culprit for 10.2.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Done, but anytime i boot it up, it can't do anything. The mouse wont move.
Easily fixed: change -M mac99,via=pmu to -M mac99

Best,
Cat_7
Unbreakify
Student Driver

Post by Unbreakify »

Uh oh, now i've run into another issue.

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

No problem; you need to run Disk Utility from the menu and format your supplied HD image.
Unbreakify
Student Driver

Post by Unbreakify »

adespoton wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:19 pm No problem; you need to run Disk Utility from the menu and format your supplied HD image.
The thing is...
Where?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Unbreakify wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:44 pm
adespoton wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:19 pm No problem; you need to run Disk Utility from the menu and format your supplied HD image.
The thing is...
Where?
Unbreakify
Student Driver

Post by Unbreakify »

adespoton wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:17 pm
Unbreakify wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:44 pm
The thing is...
Where?
Not there for me.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

If your copy of the OS X 10.2 install CD doesn't have Disk Utility in the menu, there's not much I can do to help. I'd recommend getting a different install CD, as there might be other things it doesn't have as well.

However, I suspect it's there. You just have to backtrack to the correct window and it should show up.

That said, you've already added a blank disk image to your startup script, right? Because otherwise when you get to Disk Utility, you won't have any drive to partition for use.
Unbreakify
Student Driver

Post by Unbreakify »

adespoton wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:23 pm If your copy of the OS X 10.2 install CD doesn't have Disk Utility in the menu, there's not much I can do to help. I'd recommend getting a different install CD, as there might be other things it doesn't have as well.

However, I suspect it's there. You just have to backtrack to the correct window and it should show up.

That said, you've already added a blank disk image to your startup script, right? Because otherwise when you get to Disk Utility, you won't have any drive to partition for use.
My qemu.bat if your wondering:

Code: Select all

qemu-system-ppc.exe ^
-L pc-bios ^
-M mac99 ^
-m 512 ^
-display sdl ^
-boot d ^
-drive file=OSX10.1.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom ^
-drive file=MacintoshHD.img,format=raw,media=disk 
Looks ok to me.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Go back to the first (Introduction) screen on the install CD.
Unbreakify
Student Driver

Post by Unbreakify »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:41 am Go back to the first (Introduction) screen on the install CD.
I have tried, but no partition shows.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Unbreakify wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:09 pm
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:41 am Go back to the first (Introduction) screen on the install CD.
Just to be clear: you're able to launch Disk Utility, but it doesn't show a QEMU SATA HDD volume?

Do you have a file called MacintoshHD.img in the same folder as the script you're running, or if you're running from the command line, in the current working directory?
Unbreakify
Student Driver

Post by Unbreakify »

adespoton wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:30 pm
Unbreakify wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:09 pm
Just to be clear: you're able to launch Disk Utility, but it doesn't show a QEMU SATA HDD volume?

Do you have a file called MacintoshHD.img in the same folder as the script you're running, or if you're running from the command line, in the current working directory?
Yes.