Basilisk II does not start in final stage

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

afro
Inquisitive Elf

Basilisk II does not start in final stage

Post by afro »

Hi,

I have a Mac OS X 10.10.5 Intel.

I followed this: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ba ... _osx_setup to the letter and everything was working fine the whole way. However, when I get to the end of the instructions from the link:

..."click "Start" to save...": (the last few lines before the "Good to know" section-see below*), Basilisk II does not start, but I just get a floppy in the middle of the screen with a question mark and nothing else. Even if I re-start it as they suggest here below, same thing....(and that's if I try to re-start it with the Gui application or Basilisk II directly). I tried shutting down the computer and trying again, but same problem.

*Click “Start” to save the changed settings and to start BasiliskII.
(Again, if BasiliskII does not start and/or the GUI does not quit, click Start or Save in the GUI to save the settings, quit the GUI application, and launch BasiliskII directly.)
Et voila!*

What should I do? What is the problem?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Basilisk II does not start in final stage

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

When you get the grey screen with floppy disk image with question mark, BasiliskII starts and runs fine but does not find a suitable startup disk.

If you followed the setup guide, you should have installed the system software onto the MacOS753 disk and that disk should be the only one left in the volumes list in the GUI. Is that what you did and what you see?
afro
Inquisitive Elf

Post by afro »

Yes, correct. That's the only one I see.

However, I noticed yesterday that it seems that I should be using Basilisk II only for a Mac. up to version 8.1 as according to this statement on the website: "Basilisk II emulates up to a 68040 Macintosh, which can run Mac OS 7.x through 8.1."

But as I have Mac. version 10.10 I looked at the website again, and it seems I should be using Sheepshaver in that case instead of Basilisk II. Is that correct? That's why I guess Basilisk II is not starting??

So I should be using the instruction sheet for Sheepshaver then: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... os_x_setup ??
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

No, those limits are about the guest system, the OS that can be installed inside the emulator. For BasiliskII that is System 7.x through MacOS 8.1 and for SheepShaver that is System 7.5.3 through MacOS 9.0.4.

I suppose OSX 10.10 (Yosemite) is your host system, the system on which you use the emulator.

The fact that BasiliskII apparently runs fine on your host (you can see the question mark, so BasiliskII starts fine) but cannot find a useable startup disk means that you did something wrong during setup. Maybe you did not properly run the 7.5.3 installer. I cannot see from a distance what you could have done wrong. So better start from the beginning, following the setup guide closely.
afro
Inquisitive Elf

Post by afro »

Yes, Yosimite is my host system.

I tried to do the Basilisk II process again from the beginning. Of course, the settings were already configured in Basilik II. Basilik II Gui had remembered them. I checked that they are according to the instructions and they were. The only thing is I used a different ROM this time (Performa). And once again everything worked until the end where I faced the same problem with the floppy disk in the middle of the screen with a question mark.

What should I do now?

I can try to do the emulation with Sheepshaver, instead of Basilisk II. But I do not know the difference. Is there a difference between using Sheepshaver and Basilisk II? My end goal is to be able to run this 1990s game called Barrack once I am successful with the emulation. See link here: https://www.macintoshrepository.org/6649-barrack

My understanding is that if I can do emulation with Basilisk or Sheepshaver that will create the right conditions to be able to run the Barrack game. But since, I have 0 experience and knowledge on these things, I can not be sure. Am I correct in my understanding?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I do not think SheepShaver is better for running that game.

Of course the settings in the GUI will look the same, you already set them.
But, with all three disk images in place in the volumes list ...
- Did you startup from the DiskTools_MacOS80.image?
- Did you then name and initialize (or again erase) the MacOS753 volume?
- Did you open the OS753InstallerParts disk?
- Did you double-click the System 7.5.3 01of19.smi in the window of that disk?
- Did you then double-click the icon of the "Sys7.5 V7.5.3 CD Inst" that appeared on the desktop?
- Did you then start the installer application in again a new window that opened?
- Did you choose in the running installer the MacOS753 disk (the one you named and erased above) as destination for the installation?
- Did you proceed and let the installer do its work (you will probably see an animation of the installation process) and was the installation completed successfully?
- Did you then quit the installer and shut down BasiliskII (and if it is still running also the GUI)
- Did you then start the GUI again and did you remove the MacOS8 and installer parts images from the list?
- Then, when you click Start, BasiliskII should start up from the newly installed system.
afro
Inquisitive Elf

Post by afro »

Yes, I did everything. Except the last sentence, when I try to start it up I end up with grey coloured screen with the floppy in the middle and a question mark
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Which means that BasiliskII cannot find a suitable startup volume. The startup volume should be the MacOS753 disk with its newly installed System installation.

Please post here the content of your BasiliskII prefs file:
Launch Terminal (in /Application/Utilities/) and type (or copy and paste) at the prompt

Code: Select all

open ~/.basilisk_ii_prefs
followed by a return.
The file will open in your default text editor. Select all content and copy and paste it here in your reply.
afro
Inquisitive Elf

Post by afro »

disk /Users/macbook/Downloads/MacOS753
extfs /Users/macbook/Desktop/Shared
screen win/1024/768
seriala
serialb
ether slirp
udptunnel false
udpport 6066
rom /Users/macbook/Downloads/Basilisks II/PERFORMA.ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 134217728
frameskip 0
modelid 14
cpu 4
fpu true
nocdrom false
nosound false
noclipconversion false
nogui false
jit false
jitfpu true
jitdebug false
jitcachesize 8192
jitlazyflush true
jitinline true
keyboardtype 5
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 0
mousewheellines 3
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv true
idlewait true
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

The "disk" line should list the full filename of the disk image. Use Get Into to see whether it is named

MacOS753

or something like

MacOS753.dsk

or something similar, and make sure the full name and extension (if any) are listed in the prefs.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Good to check, but I suppose the name of the disk image is indeed MacO753 (without extension) as it was created with the GUI application.

If the full name of the disk is not MacOS753, it would never have showed up in BasiliskII and "afro" could never have installed the System as he claims he did.
afro
Inquisitive Elf

Post by afro »

So Ronald,

Are the codes I posted correct? If they are, why is Basilisk not starting?

In any event, how can I get Basilisk to start? What should I do now?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Again, have you checked this:

The "disk" line should list the full filename of the disk image. Use Get Into to see whether it is named

MacOS753

or something like

MacOS753.dsk

or something similar, and make sure the full name and extension (if any) are listed in the prefs.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

OK. First get this possible issue out of the way,

Apparently the MacOS753 file was created in your Downloads folder.
Go into that folder and find the file.
Select the file icon and hit command-I
The Info panel for the file will open. In it you can see the exact name of the file.
What is the name?

In the Info panel you can also see the size of the file.
What is the size?
afro
Inquisitive Elf

Post by afro »

In the info panel I see:

Kind: TextEdit Document
Size: 524, 288,000 bytes (524.3 MB on disk)
Name and Extension: MacOS753

Does that look right?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Yes, that is what I expect for a 500MB file created by the GUI.

Now, apparently, somehow installation of System 753 on that disk image did not succeed correctly.

First, in the GUI add again the other two disk image files, "DiskTools_MacOS80.image" and "OS753InstallerParts.dsk" and click Start.

BasiliskII should startup from the MacOS8.0 Disk Tools disk.

Do you now see these four volumes on the desktop?
- Disk Tools 1
- OS753InstallerParts
- MacOS753
- Unix

If so, erase the MacOS753 disk: Select the disk and choose Erase disk from the Special menu.

Then proceed with the setup starting at the line "- Open the OS753InstallerParts disk." in the setup guide.
afro
Inquisitive Elf

Post by afro »

Ok, I think it worked out now.

I did what you said and now when I clicked start instead of the question mark in the middle with a floppy I got to the screen. On the screen now, I see the MacOS753 and Unix. There is nothing else on the screen.

Is this what it should look like?

Am I ready to try to use the sharing folder to get the game to work in Basilisk II?
afro
Inquisitive Elf

Post by afro »

Ronald:

Thank you very much for your help. I took the plunge and tried to get the Barrack game to go on Basilisk II and it works!

As I just got it going, let's see if everything remains as smooth as it seems right now.

I'll post again soon I am sure, if need be.