printing to network printer from os9

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

logan71f100
Space Cadet

printing to network printer from os9

Post by logan71f100 »

I have been trouble shooting printing for a few weeks now and haven't gotten any closer.

I'm trying to print from a OS9 application to a network Kyocera printer (6002i). But when I print it gives error code 1 and if I hit retry several times it does eventually print.
this issue is specific to emulated os9, my physical os9 and OSX machine's don't have this issue.

I have os9 qemu setup and working and a OSX qemu with classic working. the OSX can print fine with OSX applications but if I try to print from classic application I get error described above.
both are setup on windows with a bridged network adapter with taps with the sungem network card in qemu with static macs

Code: Select all

qemu-system-ppc.exe -L pc-bios -boot c -M mac99,accel=tcg -m 256 ^
-prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" -vnc :1 ^
-drive file=MacOS9.2.img,format=raw,media=disk ^
-device usb-tablet -rtc base=localtime ^
-netdev tap,id=network01,ifname=tap1 -device sungem,netdev=network01,mac=52:54:00:12:34:10 ^
-device VGA,edid=on ^
-g 1024x768x32 

exit 0
I have played with ppd files and they make no difference, iv looked at logs in printer and it shows nothing, like the job never made it to the printer until I smashed the retry a few times then it prints so then it shows in logs, not seeing failed print jobs. I have messed around with adding printers in cups but that only appears to change stuff for OSX, those changes don't appear to do anything in OS9.

boils down to printing on actual hardware works fine but in qemu is doesn't, could it be link speed issue? bridge issue? whole network is 1gb and I see qemu link speed is 100mb I don't know I need help!
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: printing to network printer from os9

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

While I have no idea whether your issue is network-related, I'm not clear on what the problem is.
Do you also have issues with printing from the classic Mac OS 9 environment in OSX?

Did you look at the drivers in the MacOS 9 system folder?

Best,
Cat_7
logan71f100
Space Cadet

Post by logan71f100 »

While I have no idea whether your issue is network-related, I'm not clear on what the problem is.
my problem is printing to a network printer from a mac OS9 application, it just spits out error code 1, but if I click retry several times it does go through. I need it to work on the first time
the programs I'm trying to make print is 4th dimension and WordPerfect

Do you also have issues with printing from the classic Mac OS 9 environment in OSX?
yes, same printing issue with OS9 and OS9 classic under OSX

Did you look at the drivers in the MacOS 9 system folder?
I saw that OSX does copy over a PPD file but OS9 still has same issue.

An important take away is that this is the same issue when booting a OS9.2 img and running under classic in OSX, and that this issue is not present on real mac hardware. the only time I have this print issue with my printers is when I try to print from QEMU so I feel like it is related but I wouldn't even know where to start haha have you tried to network print in recent years?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I just created a desktop printer with Laserwriter 8, and selected Printer (LPR).
Then at LPR printer selection, I clicked change. Next I added my printer IP-address and named a queue.
(my printer is a networked HP Color LaserJet Pro M255DW)

When I clicked verify, the utility affirmed the printer was at the IP-address. A desktop printer with the name set to the IP-address I used appeared on the desktop.
A test print from SimpleText was successful immediately. Same was true for a print from Word 2001.

So such a setup seems to work on one click. However, I see you are using both vnc a viewer to view Mac OS and the tablet driver.
I suggest you bring that back to the bare minimum to test whether these two have anything to do with your issue. Run Qemu without vnc and disable the tablet driver and see whether that changes anything.

ps: your issue seems due to you using the adb mouse and keyboard. When using them, clicks are lost.
Try mac99,via=pmu for your guest to use usb mouse and keyboard.

Best,
Cat_7