sharing

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

mathguy
Student Driver

sharing

Post by mathguy »

I have an All-in-One mac running OS 9. I have a working copy of E. Mendelson's Sheepshaver Macos 9 emulator on a macbook Pro 13inch, 2020, running Macos 12.3.1. Is there any way to transfer the guts (data and applications) from the real OS 9 to the emulator?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: sharing

Post by adespoton »

The easiest way is to stick them on the same network and enable AppleShare IP on one of them, and then copy the contents across.
mathguy
Student Driver

Post by mathguy »

Dear adespoton,

Thanks for the response. Any chance you could expand on your suggestion some? The E. Mendelson's Sheepshaver Macos 9 emulator doesn't seem to be too friendly with any kind of AppleTalk or file sharing.

Thanks
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Does your old Mac have a USB port? Then you can use a USB stick to transfer files from the old Mac to your MacBook Pro. Then you can copy the files through the shared folder/Unix drive feature in SheepShaver into SheepShaver.

Make sure to first format the USB stick as HFS+ (Mac OS Extended).

Inside SheepShaver copy files from the "Unix" volume to another mounted volume, do not move files directly from "Unix" to the desktop.

Applications may need additional files that were originally installed with the application, often in the System Folder, to run properly.
mathguy
Student Driver

Post by mathguy »

Dear Mr. Regensberg,

So near, yet so far. The Macintosh All-in-One does not have a USB port. All data flow is through Apple's propriatary ports and one Scsi port.

Aha, I thought, if I could rig a Scsi to USB I could then try your suggestion. It seems that you need three to four years at Hogwarts to be able to do that.

Am I making it too hard. If you have any other soothing words or suggestions, I would love to hear them

Thank you for your initial input on my problem

(old) mathguy
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

This is expensive, but you can find drivers for it online, and it may be the only solution:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325170048647?c ... -sQAvD_BwE

The Mac drivers are here:

https://adaptec.com/en-us/speed/mac/usb ... 12_hqx.php
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I'm not sure whether emendelson's solution allows this, but there is also the option to install an ftp server (I had good results with netpresenz) on the SheepShaver side.
Then add a forwarding rule in the prefs file for tcp/ip port 21 so you can ftp stuff over from the old mac.

Come to think of it, this way you might also be able to get appletalk going by forwarding the required ports.

(assuming your old mac is on the same ethernet network as your new one, and the new one should probably be connected by a cable, not wireless)

Best,
Cat_7
mathguy
Student Driver

Post by mathguy »

Dear cat7 and emendelsson ,

That would certainly be a cheaper way. I wonder if emendelson could respond to the feasibility of your solution.

Mathguy
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The SheepShaver wrapper seems to support this solution.

You need to add a line to the prefs file, to be found by:
Right click on the wrapper, show package contents.
Open Contents, Resources, Files
Right click MacOS.sheepvm, show package contents
Right click "prefs" and open with TextEdit

add the line:
redir tcp:548:10.0.2.15:548
just below the ether slirp line and save the file, close all opened windows and start SheepShaver wrapper.

Make sure you have file sharing enabled in Mac OS in SheepShaver and your old mac through the file sharing control panel. There, you must also enable file sharing over TCP/IP
Next, you need the IP address of your SheepShaver wrapper host system. Open "about this mac", system report and select network, ethernet, and note the Ethernet IPv4 address.

On you old mac, open the Chooser, click AppleShare, click server ip address. Enter the ip address you noted on your SheepShaver host system and connect.

IF things went OK, you'll need to enter your user name and password you entered in the SheepShaver file sharing control panel and then select the drive you want to share.
Copying will be slow......

(I tested this setup between two SheepShaver instances: one SheepShaver wrapper running on Mojave, the other in Windows.)

Best,
Cat_7
mathguy
Student Driver

Post by mathguy »

Dear Cat_7,

I appreciate your detailed solution, but it seems that the emendelson implementation of sheepshaver is missing FileSharingLib, preventing me from activating file sharing in my emulator Mac OS9 running in Monterey 12.3.1.

Frustrated,
Mathguy
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

That is strange. To test I installed a new 9.0.4 in the wrapper and it allowed sharing just fine.

Best,
Cat_7
mathguy
Student Driver

Post by mathguy »

Dear Cat_7,

I don't know how to do that.

At sea,

Mathguy
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

It seems we now baffle each other ;-)

I wonder how you got Mac OS going in the wrapper. Its instructions say to first drag a rom file onto the program and and then drag a disk image of an installation cdrom onto the program. SheepShaver starts from the cd image and you can install onto the internal hard disk. On next restart SheepShaver starts from the internal hard disk.

Is that not the same procedure you followed when you installed?

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I suppose the OP does not use the "SheepShaver Wrapper" application but the the "Mac OS 9" application for OSX/macOS. Two different applications, both created by emendelson. The Wrapper makes SheepShaver setup easier, the "Mac OS 9" application is a ready to use SheepShaver setup.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Ah, that explains the confusion.

Best,
Cat_7
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

mathguy wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:35 pm I appreciate your detailed solution, but it seems that the emendelson implementation of sheepshaver is missing FileSharingLib, preventing me from activating file sharing in my emulator Mac OS9 running in Monterey 12.3.1.
If you have the SheepShaver Wrapper:

If you followed the instructions on my page, and installed Mac OS 9.0.4, then you can enable sharing by using the Apple menu, then Control Panels, then Extensions Manager, then check the box next to File Sharing. EDIT: Also check the box next to File Sharing Library if it is not already checked.

If you didn't follow the instructions when installing 9.0.4, then delete the whole thing and start again.

If you have my Mac OS 9 app:

You can enable sharing by using the Apple menu, then Control Panels, then Extensions Manager, then check the box next to File Sharing. EDIT: Also check the box next to File Sharing Library if it is not already checked. (But read the posts by Cat_7 below for warnings.)

If you are using something else:

Start over with either the SheepShaver Wrapper or my Mac OS 9 app.
Last edited by emendelson on Sat May 14, 2022 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Cat_7 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:18 pm Right click "prefs" and open with TextEdit
add the line:
redir tcp:548:10.0.2.15:548
just below the ether slirp line and save the file, close all opened windows and start SheepShaver wrapper.
Cat_7, do you think this line should be added to the default setup for the wrapper and the Mac OS 9 app or both? Is there any reason NOT to add it? I don't pretend to understand anything about these things.
mathguy
Student Driver

Post by mathguy »

Dear Cat_7,

On re-reading the notes for the emendelson mac os9 (http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/macos9osx.html), on page 2 I find the sentence "The Mac OS 9 application contains a standard US-English Mac OS 9 installation, without features that can't be used in this system, such as filesharing." (emphasis mine).

I assume this is definitive, and I will not be able to make your excellent suggestion work on my implementation.

Sadly,

Mathgy
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

@mathguy: see the question by emendelson in the post above yours. It seems the extensions needed to enable file sharing over afp (not appletalk) are available in your mac os installation but not enabled.

@emendelson: why not? redirecting that port exposes it to the host so other machines running a compatible version of the afp (file sharing over tcp/ip) can access the machine. This will not work with two instances running on the same machine, but will work with two instances on different machines. Note that enabling file sharing on your Wrapper worked flawlessly and adding the line worked just fine.
However, enabling the extensions needed for file sharing on the Mac OS 9 application frequently crash the extensions manager. I haven't been able to get it to work as I do not understand all that is going on there.... I guess this setup would require extensive changes such as enabling the chooser, (perhaps setting appletalk to use the ethernet connection), enabling the various extensions for file sharing. While I can now enable file sharing, I cannot tick the box to allow file sharing over tcp/ip which is required to get this going.

Best,
Cat_7
mathguy
Student Driver

Post by mathguy »

Dear emendelson, Cat_7,

RE: emendelson's response of today at 01:58 am.

"If you have my Mac OS 9 app:

You can enable sharing by using the Apple menu, then Control Panels, then Extensions Manager, then check the box next to File Sharing."

I had already done this, but tried it again on a new installation of the Mac OS 9 app on a different machine. Although I am able to activate the File Sharing control panel as indicated, any attempt to use it produces the error produces the error message : The application "File Sharing" could not be opened because "FileSharingLIb could not be found"

mathguy
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

"If you have my Mac OS 9 app:

You can enable sharing by using the Apple menu, then Control Panels, then Extensions Manager, then check the box next to File Sharing."

I had already done this, but tried it again on a new installation of the Mac OS 9 app on a different machine. Although I am able to activate the File Sharing control panel as indicated, any attempt to use it produces the error produces the error message : The application "File Sharing" could not be opened because "FileSharingLIb could not be found"
Yes, but this alone is not enough. There are other extensions that also need to be enabled.

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

In Extensions Manager not only check "File Sharing Extension" but also "File Sharing Library".
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Yes, in my Mac OS 9 app, File Sharing Library is not enabled by default. However, when I installed OS 9 in the SheepShaver Wrapper, the File Sharing Library seems to have been enabled already. Cat_7, is that what you saw in your system?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Yes,

In the wrapper you get a default clean installation from CD image which has all required extensions enabled.
I only needed to start file sharing (add a user name, password, machine name) and start sharing + tick allow sharing over tcp/ip. (plus that line in the prefs).

In the Mac OS 9 app, there is no chooser so no place to enter an IP address to connect to. And even while I enabled multiple extensions, the box to share over tcp/ip did not become active.
And, as said above, the extensions manager crashed on my multiple times. And also after leaving it open for some time. I also could not change TCP/IP settings as that would freeze the machine, as did selecting Ethernet for Appletalk connection. Even after first removing their prefs. (these crashes, however, appear frequently in default SheepShaver installations as well).
There seems to be so much going on in the default installation of the mac os 9 app with all those apps/control panels/extensions installed, enabled and disabled.

Best,
Cat_7
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Cat_7 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:54 pm Yes,

In the wrapper you get a default clean installation from CD image which has all required extensions enabled.
I only needed to start file sharing (add a user name, password, machine name) and start sharing + tick allow sharing over tcp/ip. (plus that line in the prefs).

In the Mac OS 9 app, there is no chooser so no place to enter an IP address to connect to. And even while I enabled multiple extensions, the box to share over tcp/ip did not become active.

Best,
Cat_7
When I set this up, it seemed to make no sense to have a Chooser, because anyone who used it would probably mess up the printing system that I included. I'll experiment with this.