Screamer build for Linux?

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

GodzillaSkyline
Space Cadet

Screamer build for Linux?

Post by GodzillaSkyline »

`
hey forum, i'm the new guy. this is my first post and i'm excited to meet yall :cool:

recently i wanted to play some old os9 games from my childhood on my linux pc and after sheepshaver unfortunately gave up on me (it wouldn't run) i installed qemu on my ubuntu machine.
i did get the virtual mac to boot, but without 256 color mode (screen is grey scale, but way off) and without sound it's just not the same thing.
of course i saw on the forums that i'm not the first one encountering these issues, so i decided to try to build the screamer branch which i assume also has the 8bit color vga driver.

i'm not a programmer so i couldn't help myself any further and i didn't see a way to contact mcayland on github. thats why i decided to come to the forum. if there is a way to get this thing working i'd be more than happy to help with testing.

i followed akemin-dayo's build guide (for macos). instead of using brew i installed all packages with apt, because i didn't want to install yet another package manager. most of the packages are called almost the same on ubuntu, except with a version number or a lib prefix. i removed the old qemu-system-ppc package and started the configure process. this is the readout i got:

$ ./configure --target-list="ppc-softmmu"
Using './build' as the directory for build output
The Meson build system
Version: 0.59.3
Source dir: /path/to/qemu-screamer
Build dir: /path/to/qemu-screamer/build
Build type: native build
Project name: qemu
Project version: 6.1.94
C compiler for the host machine: cc -m64 -mcx16 (gcc 11.2.0 "cc (Ubuntu 11.2.0-19ubuntu1) 11.2.0")
C linker for the host machine: cc -m64 -mcx16 ld.bfd 2.38
Host machine cpu family: x86_64
Host machine cpu: x86_64
Program sh found: YES (/usr/bin/sh)
Program python3 found: YES (/usr/bin/python3)
WARNING: Broken python installation detected. Python files installed by Meson might not be found by python interpreter.
C++ compiler for the host machine: c++ -m64 -mcx16 (gcc 11.2.0 "c++ (Ubuntu 11.2.0-19ubuntu1) 11.2.0")
C++ linker for the host machine: c++ -m64 -mcx16 ld.bfd 2.38
Program cgcc found: NO
Library m found: YES
Run-time dependency threads found: YES
Library util found: YES
Run-time dependency appleframeworks found: NO (tried framework)
Found pkg-config: /usr/bin/pkg-config (0.29.2)
Run-time dependency pixman-1 found: NO (tried pkgconfig)

../meson.build:415:2: ERROR: Dependency "pixman-1" not found, tried pkgconfig

A full log can be found at /path/to/qemu-screamer/build/meson-logs/meson-log.txt

ERROR: meson setup failed

i know that pixman-1 is called libpixman-1-0 on ubuntu, though i don't know how to change the script. i hoped it could be done in the configure script but it's not that easy...
cgcc and appleframeworks seem to be macos specific, because these aren't even on brew.

i guess a linux build could be grafted from the mac and the win build. and it would be awesome to commit the thing to github for future users. if anybody has some ideas i'm down.
`
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Screamer build for Linux?

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Linux is the default development environment for Qemu, so it should at lease build there.
To see whether something might be wrong with the source code I just built the screamer source code on Fedora Linux and that went well.

You should indeed install the dependencies to build Qemu on your Linux host, but that has nothing to do with e.g. Brew as that only serves to install dependencies on macOS hosts.

I see two things in your report:
-configure finds that your python installation is not what it expects
-configure does not find the libpixman it expects.

Please note that some libraries have two versions where one is for development purposes. Did you install this?
sudo apt-get install -y libpixman-1-dev

I don´t know about that python error, the command below should return the version of python installed on your host.
python3 -V

If something is wrong there, you might re-install python:
sudo apt-get install -y python

Best,
Cat_7

ps: that problem with the 256 colours video driver has been solved in the source code a long time ago.