Mounting USB 1 host devices

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

nsputnik
Student Driver

Mounting USB 1 host devices

Post by nsputnik »

I am trying to mount a USB 1 audio interface.
At one point I was getting a speed mismatch error. I'm using:

-device usb-ehci,id=ehci
-device usb-host,bus=ehci.0,vendorid=xxx,productid=xxx (not xxx, actual IDs)

This let me to a thread https://chromium.googlesource.com/exter ... s/usb2.txt about using UHCI/OHCI and not ehci but I don't know what syntax to use.

Host machine is MacMini6,2 running 10.13.6, guest is running OSX 10.4.11. I don't see the USB device in the guest's system profile.

I did kextunload on a few kext already but this device is new to me so I don't think any of the drivers really exist in the host OS.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Mounting USB 1 host devices

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Passing through USB devices is like running into a minefield. Very much hit and miss, partly due to your host possibly hogging the device and partly due to a bug in Qemu's ohci (USB 1.1) handling for certain composite devices.
The speed mismatch is caused by the device being USB 1.1 while you most probably attached the device to an USB 2 or 3 port on your host.

The best way to get a chance to succeed is to attach the device to a real USB 1.1 hub like in an old apple keyboard and then pass it through with
-device usb-host,vendorid=xxx,productis=xxx

Best,
Cat_7
nsputnik
Student Driver

Re: Mounting USB 1 host devices

Post by nsputnik »

Cat_7 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:11 am The best way to get a chance to succeed is to attach the device to a real USB 1.1 hub like in an old apple keyboard and then pass it through...
When I connect to a passthrough on an Apple keyboard A1243, the aluminum ultra thin that I think was current for many years, I warning from the host OS about there not being enough power.