Is there a windowed zoom mode?

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

celebi23
Granny Smith

Is there a windowed zoom mode?

Post by celebi23 »

I was wondering if there was a windowed zoom mode similar to the option in SheepShaver & Mini vMac? I know that there is the "zoom to fit" option for fullscreen mode. I'm currently using Qemu-5.2-OSX-Screamer-15-12-2020 due to still being on macOS 10.14.6. Thanks!
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Is there a windowed zoom mode?

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I'm not sure what exactly windowed zoom mode should do?

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I think he wants to be able to set the pixel multiplier for the window... so have a blocky 640x480 or a really tiny 2460x1920 in the same window space.

UTM has a "retina" mode that allows you to toggle between pixel doubling and regular pixel representation; I suppose the actual retina flag could be set/unset in QEMU as well to achieve a similar effect, if you're on a retina capable Mac host.
celebi23
Granny Smith

Post by celebi23 »

Sorry, I should've been a bit clearer. So, I like having 640x480 as the resolution for certain games but, the window itself is tiny on my MacBook Pro screen:

Is there a command line option to scale the window up by a factor of 2? That way, the resolution stays the same and things are a bit easier to see.

So, essentially, it would function like the "Zoom to Fit" option when in fullscreen mode but it would instead function in windowed mode.

I hope that's a bit clearer :lol:
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I don't believe that such option is available right now.
I saw some patches (march 2022) that promise:
This change brings two new features:
- The window will be resizable if "Zoom To Fit" is eanbled (sic)
- The window can be made full screen by clicking full screen button
provided by the platform. (The left-top green button.)

But I don't know whether they will allow what you want, nor whether they have been accepted by now.
If so they will only be in more recent Qemu versions.

And I believe you can't set terminal applications like Qemu to run in low resolution on a retina screen. I only have a VM available so I wouldn't be able to test any of that.

You can, however, try with VNC. Add -vnc :0 to your command line. If you do, you will not see Qemu starting, but need an app such as VNC Viewer to connect to your localhost. VNC Viewer allows scaling, also in exact multiples of 2 (see settings). I don't know whether you'd retain all the functionality you have now (including mouse tracking and smoothness).

Best,
Cat_7
celebi23
Granny Smith

Post by celebi23 »

Ah well. Hopefully by the time I get a new Mac, this option will be included in Qemu :smile: