Roxio CD Spin Doctor under Tiger

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

wolnic
Space Cadet

Roxio CD Spin Doctor under Tiger

Post by wolnic »

Thanks for all your efforts in creating QEMU and this site. The latter has been a great help as I try to setup a Tiger system so I can access some old files, and applications.

While I appreciate that there is currently no sound available in the main release, I was hoping to be able to use CD Spin Doctor (part of the Roxio Toast Titanium package) to clean up of some old tapes that are a bit hissy. I used to use this on my G5 iMac (before it died), so getting Tiger to work got me excited about being able to clean up some of my remaining recordings. I hoped that, despite there being no sound, I could still run the conversion to de-hiss the files. Unfortunately, CD Spin Doctor seems to crash when it tries to load the AIFF file.

Has anyone tried to run this software under QEMU? Or do you know if it's maybe just complaining because there's no sound enabled in the emulator?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Roxio CD Spin Doctor under Tiger

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Toast Titanium 7 runs on my Qemu Tiger 10.4.11 installation, including Spin Doctor. At first Spin Doctor would not run, but after some fiddling it did. I think setting the recorder to shared once in Toast preferences did the trick, but I not sure anymore. I could apply filters to some AIFF samples I downloaded.

Sound hardware seems not to be needed. But if you do run one of our sound-enabled builds, Spin Doctor crashes when playing the recording....

Best,
Cat_7
wolnic
Space Cadet

Post by wolnic »

Thanks, Cat_7, for the quick response. I wasn't sure if many people knew about this program included with Toast. I'll take a look and report back on whether I can get it to work.
wolnic
Space Cadet

Post by wolnic »

I had another go at this today, but without success. Changed a few of the settings, including one you alluded to, and tried different file formats, but the version I have (Toast 6) only seems to import AIFF (didn't want to import MP3, WAV or AAC). The problem comes when it says it's drawing the waveform and I'd hoped there might be an option to switch that off. I'll see if I can find Toast 7. SoundSoap seems to be able to do the same "clean up" so might have to take a look at that instead.
wolnic
Space Cadet

Post by wolnic »

The Toast 7.0 version of CD Spin Doctor worked fine to display the waveform, and then run a de-hiss, with no changes required to any of the Preferences. Even though I can't hear it, I can make a good guess at the settings I'll need (from experience), run a few tests and copy the output back to the Host system and see which sounds best. Might take a bit more time, but if it works ...