FUSE-HFS now works on Monterey!

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

adespoton
Forum All-Star

FUSE-HFS now works on Monterey!

Post by adespoton »

Without further ado, native* HFS support for disk images is back for macOS Monterey!
https://thejoelpatrol.github.io/fusehfs ... -0.1.5.pkg

Please note the requirement to already have MacFUSE installed to make this work. If you have an OS X from 10.6 through 10.9, fusehfs 0.1.4 should work for you. OS X 10.10 through macOS 10.14... sorry; no HFS for you. 10.15 and macOS 11 *may* work with this installer; you'll have to try it and report back.

After installing this, your OS should once again transparently open HFS disk images (.img, .toast, etc.) and mount them read/write.

The only issue discovered to date is mangling the Mac Kanji character mapping to Unicode; MacRoman characters display properly. So you may not want to use this on disk images containing files named in Kanji.

Thanks to everyone who worked for years to make this possible (including the Apple OS dev team who finally removed their mangled HFS.fsbundle from the OS)!

*In this context, "native" is a x86-64 binary, but it works fine on ARM Macs via Rosetta 2 emulation.
joelc
Student Driver

Re: FUSE-HFS now works on Monterey!

Post by joelc »

adespoton wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:29 am (including the Apple OS dev team who finally removed their mangled HFS.fsbundle from the OS)!
This was the main hold up! I would have done it sooner if they would have removed it properly!
In fact, the hfs.fs bundle is still there for HFS+, they just fixed it to not claim to support HFS Standard. So someone actually did do some actual (minimal) maintenance, it wasn't even removing the bundle entirely. So shoutout to whoever at Apple went digging into that unnecessary corner of the hfs.fs plist -- they could have just left it that way forever and we'd be the only ones who noticed.
adespoton wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:29 am 10.15 and macOS 11 *may* work with this installer; you'll have to try it and report back.
I am fairly sure that 10.15 will not work, but I don't know about 11. I would love to get some testing on that.

Thanks to adespoton and everyone else who chimed in on the GitHub discussion these last 6 years. Hopefully it will not break for another 6 ;P

You can also find the release version at the project web page:
https://thejoelpatrol.github.io/fusehfs/
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

marasahh9 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:32 am I can’t even remember the last time that I accessed a plain Jane HFS volume.

Then again, I get rid of obsolete stuff pretty quickly. When they killed 32bit, I only lost one application. Found a modern replacement quickly enough though.

Have you looked to see if HFS is supported through fuse? If so, installing through home brew should return the functionality you are missing.
I'm not quite sure what you're replying to here?

This thread is about FUSE-HFS working again after a number of years of a number of us poking at it and being stymied by Apple overriding it with hfs.fs's broken implementation.

So yes, HFS is once again supported through FUSE. FUSE-HFS integrates it as an fsbundle, so the entire OS gains the ability to handle HFS partitions.

If using a straight HFS FUSE plugin via homebrew, you'd end up with the ability for command-line fuse to handle HFS, but not the host OS. You'd still have to manually set a mount point and mount the image from the terminal each time you wanted to access an HFS volume. Easier to just use hfsutils. But FUSE-HFS goes further, so that you can use Disk Utility/hdiutil to mount any image container format it handles, and automatically handle any HFS partitions it finds inside, via read-write.

Hopefully, FUSE-MFS will be along shortly too ;)

What's the use case for these?

They let you mount disk images used for emulation in the host.

So, for example, if you've got a dsk file you use with Mini vMac and you want to modify something on it, with FUSE-HFS installed you can double click the .dsk file in the Finder (under OS X 10.6-10.10 and macOS 11+) and it will mount like any other disk image and let you add/remove/rename stuff.

Likewise, if you have an old .toast file that's formatted HFS, you can double click it to mount it read-only and copy files off onto the host -- not just 68k and PPC Apps, but also documents and embedded disk images.

This is especially useful with the likes of MACE, where the emulator uses the host system and does not provide the ability to mount disk images at all.

If you haven't recently accessed a plain jane HFS volume, then you've obviously not been using 68K Macintosh emulators (Mini vMac, PCE/Macplus, MESS/Macplus, ShoeBill, Basilisk II, Fusion PC, SoftMac XP, qemu-system-m68k) which is a main focus of this forum :)
JDW
Inquisitive Elf

Post by JDW »

adespoton wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:29 am Without further ado, native* HFS support for disk images is back for macOS Monterey!
https://thejoelpatrol.github.io/fusehfs ... -0.1.5.pkg

Please note the requirement to already have MacFUSE installed to make this work.
Sadly, it does not work under Monterey at all on M1 Macs (Apple Silicon).

First, the installer itself is very hard to use because you can't see much of anything, as shown here...

Second, even after installing Fuse and the installer package just described, and after a reboot, it still cannot read HFS disks (such as those saved on an SD card), as per the following error dialog (on Apple Silicon Macs)...
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I'm not sure what's different, but the https://thejoelpatrol.github.io/fusehfs ... -0.1.5.pkg installer didn't behave at all like that for me on my MBP M1 Pro. I got a properly behaved installer and functional read/write of HFS. It does, of course, require Rosetta 2 to be installed as well as MacFUSE.

Is anyone else having these issues?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

On both Monterey and Ventura, on an M2 MacBook Air, with Rosetta 2 installed, MacFuse gets installed, and FUSE-HFS also seems to get installed, but I can't read HFS disk images. Can't imagine how or why it works on your system. Perhaps you could post a known-good image file that you can read?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Does MacFUSE work for you otherwise? I just experienced a few issues mounting images, and realized my MacFUSE was out of date on that system. I had to update MacFUSE to 4.5.0, then attempt to open an HFS .img file, at which point I got an error saying that an extension needed to be installed. Back to Privacy & Security to allow the extension, then a reboot to install, and now I'm back to mounting HFS images on this system too.

It's working for every HFS image (IMG, NDIF and DMG) I throw at it, but throwing an error for MFS images (which is expected). Disk Utility identifies them as type "Unknown" partition type HFS.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Well, I tried again - and my images wouldn't mount. So I reinstalled the MacFUSE 4.5.0 setup that I had installed earlier - and suddenly everything works! Thank you for asking this!
JDW
Inquisitive Elf

Post by JDW »

adespoton wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:54 am Does MacFUSE work for you otherwise?
No. Which is a huge issue.

Your see, I need that HFS access functionality on a modern M1/M2 Mac to access the SD card used by the TashTwenty product. The reason is because, unfortunately, Tash20 seems to use an HFS formatted SD card, with all vintage Mac files dumped into the root directory! Ack! This is horribly unfortunate for the end user who has a modern Mac, especially because MacFUSE does NOT work to enable HFS access, at least, not for me. FloppyEMU eliminates that kind of headache by using DSK images instead (like those used by Mini vMac), leaving the format of the SD card alone so modern computers can easily access it. What a rich blessing! But again, the Tash20 uses HFS-formatted SD cards, which is the lone reason I've been moaning about being unable to use FUSE or any other trick to get modern M1/M2 computers to read HFS formatted SD cards.

Whenever someone finally does get HFS working on M1 Macs running Monterey (and higher), then the TashTwenty will become vastly easier to use.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

JDW wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:15 am
adespoton wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:54 am Does MacFUSE work for you otherwise?
No. Which is a huge issue.

Your see, I need that HFS access functionality on a modern M1/M2 Mac to access the SD card used by the TashTwenty product. The reason is because, unfortunately, Tash20 seems to use an HFS formatted SD card, with all vintage Mac files dumped into the root directory! Ack! This is horribly unfortunate for the end user who has a modern Mac, especially because MacFUSE does NOT work to enable HFS access, at least, not for me. FloppyEMU eliminates that kind of headache by using DSK images instead (like those used by Mini vMac), leaving the format of the SD card alone so modern computers can easily access it. What a rich blessing! But again, the Tash20 uses HFS-formatted SD cards, which is the lone reason I've been moaning about being unable to use FUSE or any other trick to get modern M1/M2 computers to read HFS formatted SD cards.

Whenever someone finally does get HFS working on M1 Macs running Monterey (and higher), then the TashTwenty will become vastly easier to use.
You just responded after two people stated they got HFS working on M1 Macs running Ventura, and I previously had it running on Monterey.

What problems are you having with MacFUSE? You need MacFUSE 4.5.0 from https://osxfuse.github.io/ and then FUSE-HFS from https://thejoelpatrol.github.io/fusehfs ... -0.1.5.pkg

You will get a Privacy & Security warning, and will need to authorize the kernel extension, then reboot. At this point, HFS should work seamlessly in Monterey/Ventura (and hopefully Sonoma, but I haven't checked that yet).
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

You will also need to authorize kernel extensions by booting to the Recovery Environment and changing a setting there.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

emendelson wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:02 pm You will also need to authorize kernel extensions by booting to the Recovery Environment and changing a setting there.
Odd; I never did that; I wonder if the setting somehow carried over, as I've been using either the same hardware or a migrated OS since I first installed OS X 10.2....
JDW
Inquisitive Elf

Post by JDW »

adespoton wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:05 pm What problems are you having with MacFUSE? You need MacFUSE 4.5.0 from https://osxfuse.github.io/ and then FUSE-HFS from https://thejoelpatrol.github.io/fusehfs ... -0.1.5.pkg
To be 100% crystal clear in answering your question, I have made a video showing you precisely what I have done, none of which works to allow me to mount my Tash20's SD on my M1 Max MacBook Pro running the latest version of MacOS Monterey.

https://youtu.be/NxwBjvzvNd4

As you can see in my video, Kernel Extensions are already enabled and were even prior to my needing to install MacFUSE 4.5 and FUSE-HFS.

I look forward to any further specific guidance that can be provided after you have watched my video.

Thank you very much for your time!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The software needs to be from an "identified developer", meaning the software needs to be signed and notarized. The installed system software will be blocked unless it is allowed to load by clicking "Allow" to load the software in System Settings, Privacy & Security. If the software is not from a identified developer, it will not appear there. See example in this picture:

JDW
Inquisitive Elf

Post by JDW »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:38 am The software needs to be from an "identified developer", meaning the software needs to be signed and notarized. The installed system software will be blocked unless it is allowed to load by clicking "Allow" to load the software in System Settings, Privacy & Security. If the software is not from a identified developer, it will not appear there. See example in this picture:

In my experience in using my Macs, that only applies to apps you launch, not on kernel extensions or software that otherwise works without any user intervention like this FUSE-HFS is supposed to work. As such, and unsurprisingly, I see nothing whatsoever about those FUSE-HFS within GateKeeper on MacOS Monterey...

Broken link to my screenshot above when using "[img]" tags! I therefore haven't the faintest idea how to get images to display in this forum. I wish I could just copy/paste them in, as we allow on TinkerDifferent. Here's the original screenshot saved on my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F9jsj- ... share_link

I still seek a step-by-step to get this to work. But honestly, I am not encouraged at all because the installer is clearly broken on MacOS Monterey on the M1 MacBook Pro, with much of the installer UI impossible to see, as shown in the video in my previous post.

All I want is to be able to mount this SD card with HFS partitions on my Apple Silicon Mac. Very frustrating it's currently impossible to do. :cry:
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Something may be wrong with your system. I just installed macFUSE and fuseHFS on an Apple Silicon MacBook Air running Monterey. You can see the screen shots here, including two images showing HFS disks mounted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/xb1Eq0E

One thought; try turning off dark mode and see if more of the installer is visible.

What I did, step by step:

1. Download the macFUSE 4.5.0 installer DMG; double-click the DMG to mount it; double-click the installer and follow the prompts.

2. Restart.

3. Download the fuseHFS installer; double-click it and follow the prompts.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

JDW wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:08 pmBroken link to my screenshot above when using "img" tags!
You need to use the url to the image file itself, not to the page that shows the file.
In this case you use the url

Code: Select all

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/u/0/drive-viewer/AITFw-yb0JNMvOOSkIWBtqUXS_MAaXl5AR79m3WPmGGVxRRJkXPwk876t4apNzsXymhT75Bg4KEsN0x5Akc5BK0U9V5X6a6haw=w2682-h1638
It will show your image:
As such, and unsurprisingly, I see nothing whatsoever about those FUSE-HFS within GateKeeper on MacOS Monterey...
Sorry, In did not realise that you are on Monterey. My example was from Ventura and there you need to allow in Privacy & Security installed kernel extensions to be loaded individually, even after you enabled kernel extensions generally in recovery mode.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

JDW wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:08 pm ...the installer is clearly broken on MacOS Monterey on the M1 MacBook Pro, with much of the installer UI impossible to see, as shown in the video in my previous post.

All I want is to be able to mount this SD card with HFS partitions on my Apple Silicon Mac. Very frustrating it's currently impossible to do. :cry:
See emendelson's step-by-step, and my previous statements regarding installing it cleanly on macOS Monterey on my M1 MacBook Pro. UI issues, as Edward stated, are likely due to dark mode and the installer not being dark mode compliant.

But it's been years since you've been able to install an unsigned kernel extension without extra authorization. More information here: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/s ... 54101b/web

This also explains why others are having issues I didn't have on my main Mac: I've been using FuseHFS since around 2011; because I just keep updating my OS and then my hardware, the older version of the kext was grandfathered in by the OS, and then when I upgraded to the Monterey-friendly version, it was already authorized.

Others will have to follow the above kba:
Kexts must be explicitly enabled for a Mac with Apple silicon by holding the power button at startup to enter into One True Recovery (1TR) mode, then downgrading to Reduced Security and checking the box to enable kernel extensions.
if third-party kernel extensions (kexts) are enabled, they can’t be loaded into the kernel on demand. Instead, they’re merged into an Auxiliary Kernel Collection (AuxKC), which is loaded during the boot process. For a Mac with Apple silicon, the measurement of the AuxKC is signed into the LocalPolicy (for previous hardware, the AuxKC resided on the data volume). Rebuilding the AuxKC requires the user’s approval and restarting of the macOS to load the changes into the kernel, and it requires that the secure boot be configured to Reduced Security.
Next, from:
https://developer.apple.com/library/arc ... index.html
This approval UI is only present in the Security & Privacy preferences pane for 30 minutes after the alert. Until the user approves the KEXT, future load attempts will cause the approval UI to reappear but will not trigger another user alert.

The alert shows the name of the developer who signed the KEXT so the user has some information to decide whether to approve the KEXT. This name comes from the Subject Common Name field of the Developer ID Application certificate used to sign the KEXT. Because of this, developers are encouraged to provide an appropriate company name when requesting KEXT signing identities.

When the user approves a KEXT, they are at the same time approving these other KEXTs signed by the same Team ID:

If the approved KEXT is located in an application's bundle, all other KEXTs signed by the same Team ID in the same application's bundle are also approved.
If the approved KEXT is located in the app's sub-directory inside /Library/Application Support, all other KEXTs signed by the same Team ID found in that same sub-directory are also approved.
All KEXTs in /Library/Extensions signed by the same Team ID are also approved.
It appears that in your case, it's been more than 30 minutes since the alert, so the approval UI has vanished. Supposedly it will re-appear when you try to "load" it again. Since starting with Monterey, you can only "load" it by rebooting (as outlined above), I'm not sure if the UI element only shows up when you try to use it, or whether you have to try to use it, reboot, and then navigate to the UI within 30 minutes. Possibly, uninstalling and re-installing MacFUSE will re-trigger the user alert, at which point you'll get the UI element back to authorize.

Note that the issue you're having is with authorizing the MacFUSE kernel extension; as of now, there's no alternative to this kernel extension for filesystem extensions not signed by Apple. Once MacFUSE is properly installed, the FuseHFS and other FUSE filesystems should all "just work" without any extra fiddling.
JDW
Inquisitive Elf

Post by JDW »

Thank you for your replies.

Regarding image linking in this forum, I still wish we could paste in a graphic, which would eliminate link-fiddling altogether. But I have noted the process you presented.

My reply to "adespoton" is in video form here (summary: it doesn't work to read the Tash20 SD card):

https://youtu.be/3aPYwyDu4iU
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Your problem has nothing to do with macFUSE. The problem is that the Monterey macOS Finder can't read your SD card and therefore can't find any disk images on it. This isn't an emulation problem - it's a problem with the formatting of the card. A disk image is a file on an actual disk (or virtual disk). If your Mac can't read the actual or virtual disk that contains the disk image, then that's the end of the story.

As far as I can tell, that card can only be read by real classic Mac hardware. It will never be readable by a modern Mac. The place to ask about reading the disk is the 68Kmla forum. No one will be able to help here.
JDW
Inquisitive Elf

Post by JDW »

Thank you for confirming that MacFuse cannot help to read any kind of HFS disk, which is what an HFS formatted SD card is. I was not aware of that, hence my posts in this thread. Of course, I’m now a bit confused what the software is even for, but the end result is the same, not a solution for me. Thank you for your time and your replies today.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Again, the problem is not macFUSE - the problem is that the macOS Finder (NOT macFUSE) cannot read the card and find the disk image (or images) on the card, which would then let macFUSE open those images. macFUSE, as you can see by other reports is ideal for reading disk images on storage media that the Finder can read, and many of us on this forum and elsewhere make constant use of it.
JDW
Inquisitive Elf

Post by JDW »

emendelson wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:04 am Again, the problem is not macFUSE - the problem is that the macOS Finder (NOT macFUSE) cannot read the card and find the disk image (or images) on the card, which would then let macFUSE open those images. macFUSE, as you can see by other reports is ideal for reading disk images on storage media that the Finder can read, and many of us on this forum and elsewhere make constant use of it.
But you see, that is the source of my confusion. I don't really understand what MacFUSE helps with.

You see, my Apple Silicon Mac running Monterey cannot mount ANY *.img files, which otherwise can be mounted on very ancient Macs like the G4 Cube running MacOS Tiger. So, no, it's not just an SD card problem here. I had been testing with my SD card, but the problem is most assuredly NOT restricted to that.

Again, I thought MacFUSE would allow me to do what an old Mac running MacOS Tiger could do -- mount *.img files that are HFS (regardless of whether those *.img files be stored on SD, CD-ROM, or my MBP's internal SSD. But every time I double-click any old Mac *.img file on my M1 MBP, I get the same error dialog I showed you before in my videos — "the disk you attached was not readable by this computer."
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

When you double-click an HFS disk image file, it apparently is on a storage media that the Finder can read (otherwise you would not see the image file's icon).
Either something is wrong with your MacFUSE installation, or something is unusual about the .img files.

Can these image files be made to mount in an emulator like BasiliskII or SheepShaver?
JDW
Inquisitive Elf

Post by JDW »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:07 am Can these image files be made to mount in an emulator like BasiliskII or SheepShaver?
Yes.
Here is one example of many you can download and try yourself (preferably on an M1 Mac, since that is what I am using):

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/qhtxtg70 ... 51gs7&dl=0

I can boot Mini vMac from that *.img. I can also mount that *.img as a drive on the Desktop in Basilisk II simply by adding the following line inside my ".basilisk_II_prefs" file:

disk /Users/james/Downloads/scsi6/System 7.1.img

Now you can see why I am a bit confused as to why MacFUSE isn't allowing me to mount it on double-click in the Finder, no my M1 Max MBP running MacOS Monterey.