Unable to connect to host drive

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

rpatters1
Tinkerer

Unable to connect to host drive

Post by rpatters1 »

Guest os: OSX Tiger (OSX 10.4) on qemu
Current host: Mac Studio M1 Max machine running Monterey.
Previous host: Mac Pro 2013 running Big Sur.

On my previous host I had everything working including attaching to the host drive as an smb server. I downloaded the latest qemu, and on my current host, everything appears to be working. (It boots, and the desktop looks normal, etc.) But when I try to attach to my host drive as an smb server it says, "Could not connect to the server because the name or passwork is not correct."

I keep my files separate from the downloaded files by placing the downloaded files in a subfolder called "-ppc". My original config was

Code: Select all

-ppc/qemu-system-ppc \
-L -ppc/pc-bios \
-boot c \
-M mac99,via=pmu \
-m 512 \
-prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' \
-prom-env 'boot-args=-v' \
-prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true' \
-drive file=MacOS10.4.qcow2,format=qcow2,media=disk \
-device sungem,netdev=network01 \
-netdev user,id=network01,hostfwd=tcp::2121-:21 \
-device VGA,edid=on \
-device usb-storage,drive=fat16 -drive file=fat:rw:fat-type=16:/Users/robertpatterson/Qemudisk,id=fat16,format=raw,if=none \
When that did not work, I changed the config to:

Code: Select all

sudo ./-ppc/qemu-system-ppc \
-L -ppc/pc-bios \
-boot c \
-M mac99,via=pmu \
-m 512 \
-prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' \
-prom-env 'boot-args=-v' \
-prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true' \
-drive file=MacOS10.4.qcow2,format=qcow2,media=disk \
-nic vmnet-bridged,model=sungem,ifname=en0 \
-device VGA,edid=on \
-device usb-storage,drive=fat16 -drive file=fat:rw:fat-type=16:/Users/robertpatterson/Qemudisk,id=fat16,format=raw,if=none \
However, changing the configuration made no difference. Both configs boot and appear to behave as normal. However, when I try to attach to the host they both give the same error message as noted above. It makes me think there is a setting in MacOS Tiger I need to change, but I can't figure out what it might be.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Unable to connect to host drive

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I understand you want to access an smb share from inside Tiger on your Monterey host.
As you have new host, I'm assuming you prepared by sharing a folder on the host and enabled smb sharing.

If so, you might be bitten by the smb access issue on Monterey: the smb protocol has various versions and the version Tiger supports might not be able to talk to your Monterey version. As far as I understand this might be either a bug in Monterey or Apple no longer allowing older and perhaps insecure versions to communicate with Monterey by default. I've seen some suggestions to change the versions allowed by adding and changing an smb server configuration file. However, if this poses security issues, it would be wise to consider what is best in your situation.

Some "no-guarantees" suggestions:

1. Go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Full Disk Access and add /usr/sbin/smbd to the allowed apps.
2. Read here: https://www.droidwin.com/smb-samba-not- ... terey-fix/

I have no means of testing any of this.

Best,
Cat_7
rpatters1
Tinkerer

Post by rpatters1 »

Smbd was already set up for full disc access. The other option made no difference for me. I still can't access the share.

I was able to access my file using TenFourFox and Gmail, but this issue highlights the unfortunate weakness of qemu vs (for example) SheepShaver in not having a shared directory between host and guest OS. I realize there may not be much that can be done about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would prefer not to be running qemu as root, so I will probably revert to the first config given in my original post. Is there any compelling reason to stick with vmnet bridged networking?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

The only reason I can think of to run the vmnet bridge option is if you want to run some services on Tiger that you wish to make accessible to the host or outside world.
You might try to run an smb share on Tiger and see whether you can connect from your host. Another option would be to expose Appletalk to connect other emulators.

Most of that can also be achieved by port forwarding.
I see you were already using port forwarding (and the vvfat option), so I gather you can use an ftp client on the host to read and write files to the guest. Is that not enough to exchange files? I'm a bit in the dark regarding your use case ;-)

There is some work being done on easier file exchange, but we have to wait until/whether that becomes available.

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

The issue I have with older vs newer SMB sharing is the required protocol for authentication -- if guest access is enabled, sharing works. 10.8 and earlier don't know about the newer authentication algorithms used by macOS 10.15 and later. If you're on a LAN and aren't worried about IoT devices being able to snoop on your file share, enable guest access and it should be accessible by all versions of OS X and macOS (but still, oddly, not iOS and iPadOS).
rpatters1
Tinkerer

Post by rpatters1 »

I tried granting access to Everyone, but that didn't help. Is that what you meant by Guest?

However, Cat_7 reminded me about FTP access, and indeed that works. In fact, I believe that's how I was accessing it on the previous machine. I may never have been able to get the smb to work. Not sure now.

Thanks to you both.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Just to capture things here:

10.4 SMB communicating with ~10.6 SMB:
https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/mac ... solutions/

10.4 SMB communicating with ~10.2 SMB:
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?s ... 6120948120

SMB packet signing in SMB on 10.11+
https://kb.promise.com/thread/disable-s ... 5-10-12-x/