Sheepshaver on High Sierra

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

tejstastic
Space Cadet

Sheepshaver on High Sierra

Post by tejstastic »

Hey guys

I have had a lot of good fun playing games from my childhood via Sheepshaver. But suddenly yesterday I just couldn't open the app. I have made no changes to the app itself. Maybe i updated my other OS. But now i can't run the app. As far as i can figure it's about the ROM. Can anybody help me so I can get back to Sim City 2000 in HD? :-)

This is the message i get, when i open SS:

Last login: Sun Dec 4 20:57:27 on console
Tejss-Mac-Pro:~ tejsholm$ /Applications/Sheepshaver/SheepShaver.app/Contents/MacOS/SheepShaver ; exit;
SheepShaver V2.5 by Christian Bauer and Mar"c" Hellwig
Reading ROM file...
WARNING: Cannot open /dev/disk7 (No such file or directory)
Using SDL/coreaudio audio output
selected Ethernet device type sheep_net
WARNING: Cannot open /dev/sheep_net (No such file or directory). Ethernet will not be available.
Using SDL_Renderer driver: metal
ERROR: Unsupported ROM type.
logout
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.

[Proces udført]
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Sheepshaver on High Sierra

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Apparently something wrong with the ROM file or incompatibility between ROM file and installed OS in SheepShaver.
tejstastic wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:13 pmMaybe i updated my other OS.
You mean the System/MacOS installed in SheepShaver? If so, from which version to which version?

Edit: An incompatibility between installed OS and ROM file after "updating" the installed OS could only happen after downgrading from MacOS 8.1 or newer to 8.0 or earlier. A "new world" rom can only be used with 8.1 through 9.0.4. An "old world" rom can be used with 7.5.3 through 9.0.4.
tejstastic
Space Cadet

Post by tejstastic »

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure about the OS upgrade. I'm currently on 10.13.6 (because i want 32-bit combability).

The only other thing i remember is upgrading the graphixcard to a better Geforce 660-card (before it was an older ATI).

I've tried downloading the 'new world' ROM on redundant robot, but the same problem persists.

I can see that the terminal-LOG from Sheepshaver reads 'Using SDL_Renderer driver: metal ' (Shouldn't it be something else with an Nvidia card?).

Thanks again

Tejs
tejstastic
Space Cadet

Post by tejstastic »

Ah - I see you mean the OS in sheepshaver. I've been on the newest (9.0.4) the whole time
tejstastic
Space Cadet

Post by tejstastic »

Hi again.

I made it work.

I removed all my own files from the Sheepshaver folder in Applications, so there was only the app itself, the ROM and the OS 9.0.4.iso

Then I launced Sheepshaver again and it booted. I then added my old 'Macintosh HD.hfv' as a new harddrive and everything works now.

Pretty strange but nice tht it works now.

YS Tejs
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Good that you made it work again. I cannot imagine what caused the problem, though.