Help me boot onto a disk using OpenBios

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Becatto
Inquisitive Elf

Help me boot onto a disk using OpenBios

Post by Becatto »

The GUI for qemu that I'm using won't let me automatically boot to a disk, so how do I boot to the MacOS installer through the OpenBIOS command prompt? :?:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it just me or every time I comment on a post, it dies :???:
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Help me boot onto a disk using OpenBios

Post by Cat_7 »

We have two lovely guides to help you get going: one for windows hosts, one for macOS hosts:

https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pp ... or-windows
https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pp ... mu-for-osx

Best,
Cat_7
Becatto
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Becatto »

Cat_7 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:31 am We have two lovely guides to help you get going: one for windows hosts, one for macOS hosts:

https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pp ... or-windows
https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pp ... mu-for-osx

Best,
Cat_7
Sorry, but like i said, the gui i'm using won't let me boot to disk automatically, making these 2 guides pretty much useless
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Which GUI might that be?
There currently is no GUI for Windows that matches Qemu options.

To boot a cd from the openbios prompt, you need something like: boot cd:,\\:tbxi or (depending on which partition contains the tbxi) cd:9,\\:tbxi
To boot from hd, you might need hd:,\\:tbxi

Once you have to start to do things like that, I assume it might get easier to just use a .bat file as shown in our guides ;-)

Best,
Cat_7
Becatto
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Becatto »

Cat_7 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:45 am Which GUI might that be?

To boot a cd from the openbios prompt, you need something like: boot cd:,\\:tbxi or (depending on which partition contains the tbxi) cd:9,\\:tbxi

Once you have to start to do things like that, I assume it might get easier to just use a .bat file as shown in our guides ;-)

Best,
Cat_7
I would say QEMU manager (a ridiculously old program, from 2010 i think), but i can't test this now since the original computer that held the install is dead and since the official website for the gui is gone, the only websites hosting the program are the very shady ones, and i'd rather not get my new computer hacked.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Becatto wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:48 am

Best,
Cat_7
I would say QEMU manager (a ridiculously old program, from 2010 i think), but i can't test this now since the original computer that held the install is dead and since the official website for the gui is gone, the only websites hosting the program are the very shady ones, and i'd rather not get my new computer hacked.
QEMU Manager is, if I remember correctly, for QEMU 2. We're now on QEMU 7.2; it doesn't even use the same emulator core anymore. The entire nomenclature for virtual device management has changed.

Your best bet is to ditch the UI and use a batch file.
Becatto
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Becatto »

adespoton wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:05 pm
Becatto wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:48 am

Best,
Cat_7
QEMU Manager is, if I remember correctly, for QEMU 2. We're now on QEMU 7.2; it doesn't even use the same emulator core anymore. The entire nomenclature for virtual device management has changed.

Your best bet is to ditch the UI and use a batch file.
Okay, i'll use QtEmu instead :O)