Mouse Input on Dark Forces and Marathon Engine games?

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

codoodguy
Student Driver

Mouse Input on Dark Forces and Marathon Engine games?

Post by codoodguy »

Has anyone experienced mouse issues on marathon engine games? Wherein the mouse would just skip on the screen when I drag it. This seems to happen with Marathon 1-3, altho 3 has a work around where I could just use InputSprockets for input and it'll work. Dark Forces is worse since it only jumps to the right. Duke Nukem 3D works fine, but Qemu has seems to have a tendency to have the mouse not function like the host, where it doesn't seem to favor diagonal inputs as well as pure x/y motions. Otherwise, DN3D is playable. Same with Infinity + InputSprockets.

Ironically, Prime Target, a game with notoriously poor mouse input works better than Dark Forces and Marathon 1 + 2 combined lmao.

Here is my Qemu Script:

Code: Select all

qemu-system-ppc-screamer.exe ^
-M mac99,via=pmu ^
-L pc-bios ^
-drive file=MacOS9.2.img,format=raw,media=disk ^
-drive file="D:\Others\Disk Images\Prime Target.iso",format=raw,media=cdrom ^
-boot c ^
-cpu G3 ^
-display sdl ^
-serial stdio ^
-m 512 ^
-device sungem,netdev=network01 -netdev user,id=network01 ^
-device VGA,edid=on 
I'm running the latest screamer build from emaculation, dated 14-12-2022. OS is Mac OS 9.2.2 installed using OS9Lives.com's universal recovery image.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Mouse Input on Dark Forces and Marathon Engine games?

Post by adespoton »

Have you tried using different virtual input devices? For example, someone made available a tablet driver that works well with -usbdevice tablet . You could also try -usbdevice usb-tablet or -usbdevice usb-mouse

The issue is most likely in exactly where the games are getting their pointer tracking data from. Playing around with presenting this to the emulated OS in different ways may improve what's being fed to the game and how.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

It seems terrible mouse support is backed into to application....
https://macintoshgarden.org/games/prime-target

Best,
Cat_7
codoodguy
Student Driver

Post by codoodguy »

adespoton wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:21 pm Have you tried using different virtual input devices? For example, someone made available a tablet driver that works well with -usbdevice tablet . You could also try -usbdevice usb-tablet or -usbdevice usb-mouse

The issue is most likely in exactly where the games are getting their pointer tracking data from. Playing around with presenting this to the emulated OS in different ways may improve what's being fed to the game and how.
I've already tried usb tablet with the init, it seems to have made in game mouse worse, at least with d3d.

Doing -usbdevice usb-mouse does this

Code: Select all

-usbdevice usb-mouse: could not add USB device 'usb-mouse'
I also tried passing my mouse to the VM, it gets recognized as a HID device but not a mouse specifically. so USB Overdrive doesn't pick it up.
codoodguy
Student Driver

Post by codoodguy »

Cat_7 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:15 pm It seems terrible mouse support is backed into to application....
https://macintoshgarden.org/games/prime-target

Best,
Cat_7
Funny enough, Prime Target's mouse input was tolerable. Unlike DF, M1 and M2 where it was unusable at all. As the camera just skips all over the place.