Making disk images out of old CD-ROMs

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

peppermintesse
Space Cadet

Making disk images out of old CD-ROMs

Post by peppermintesse »

No trouble getting things up and running. Just looking for some advice.

I have an old game disk (well... more like a playable interactive CD-ROM) that I'd love to be able to play again, and I set up SheepShaver to get System 9.0 up and running tonight in the hopes of running it.

The macOS X setup guide states:
> OSX 10.8 and later prevents mounting physical CD-ROMs in SheepShaver. Use disk images instead.

Here's my problem. This disk (Joliet-formatted, intended for Windows and Mac) is old enough (1997 or thereabouts) that it is not recognized by Disk Utility to be able to create a disk image of it.

I can't be the only person that's run into this issue. Any advice? Any utilities out there that can help? I don't know where to look or what to look for.

FWIW:
  • iMac (Retina 5K, 27", Late 2015)
  • macOS Monterey (12.6.2, the last OS version this model can run)
  • 32 GB RAM
Thanks in advance. (If this should be somewhere else, please let me know. I searched and couldn't find anything on the topic.)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Making disk images out of old CD-ROMs

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Disk images of many games can be found as downloads. A stuffed .toast disk image of the Ceremony of Innocence CD can be found on the Macintosh Garden site.
Unstuff the .sit archive on the host (I use The Unarchiver) and add the Ceremony.toast file as CDROM to the volumes list in SheepShaver preferences/setting. At next launch of SheepShaver the CD will appear on the MacOS9 desktop.
peppermintesse
Space Cadet

Post by peppermintesse »

Thank you... I really appreciate your reply!
triclon
Space Cadet

Post by triclon »

It turns out coincidently I have run into similar issues. Below is what I did, but it might or might not work for you since your CD format might be weird but maybe this will help.

How to make disk images from old CDs in macOS openable by SheepShaver

Insert your old CD into your disk drive. When you see the error message that says “The disk you attached was not readable by this computer,” click Ignore.

Open Disk Utility. You will see on the left under External your drive and below that the disk you couldn’t read greyed out. It will be called something like “disk3s1s2.”

Right click the disk and select “image from disk(whatever the name is).” Change the Format to “DVD/CD master.” Name the disk something that makes sense, and save it some place you think appropriate. You will be prompted for your password. Wait a few minutes as Disk Utility creates a copy of the disk as an image. The resulting image will have the extension .cdr (at least for CDs, DVDs or other disk types might have a different extension).

Open up SheepShaver. Go to the Settings. Under the Volumes list click Add and then select the disk image with the .cdr extension you just created. Click Save and Quit. Shut down SheepShaver. Start ShepShaver up again and your CD should be mounted.
peppermintesse
Space Cadet

Post by peppermintesse »

I appreciate your reply! I did try to make a disk image in Disk Utility this way, but it just didn't do anything, and I eventually had to force quit out of Disk Utility. I don't know if it was because the disk was Joliet-formatted or what. I will definitely keep this in mind for other disks I have that are not Joliet-formatted, though.

The toast image from the Macintosh Garden site worked perfectly (well, I havent' tried playing yet, but the .toast file worked perfectly), so thank you again!