Network connection hangs

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

milan475
Space Cadet

Network connection hangs

Post by milan475 »

I have the latest version of SheepShaver (arm native) running on my M1 Macbook Air. I'm using slirp to have internet on Mac OS 9.0.4

I am however running into the following problem: If I use the networking heavily the network stops working until I reboot the system. Downloads hang and the iTunes stream I am playing stops streaming. If I go to the TCP/IP settings and try to switch from Apple Talk back to Ethernet i'm also not assigned an IP-address anymore. Using Fetch to load a big FTP folder seams to almost always instantly cause the issue.

I recompiled SheepShaver with slirp debugging to /tmp/slirp.log enabled but no errors are thrown. It just stops logging until I reboot.

Anybody who can get me up to speed on how to debug this issue? Thanks in advance.
milan475
Space Cadet

Re: Network connection hangs

Post by milan475 »

I've confirmed the problem lays within the SLIRP interface. By doing the following I am able to circumvent the issue.

1 Installed the tun tap extension using tunnelbick
2 Rebooted in recovery mode and enabled third party kernel extensions.
3 Used kextload to load the tap extension
4 Stared sheepshaver as root so the tap interface is created
5 Shared the internet connection to the tap0 using this guide: https://gist.github.com/andriytk/bd3def ... 436c779027

Now my internet connection stays stable no matter how long I use it. While this definitely works it's a bit cumbersome to have to start Sheepshaver as root and I'd rather not have third party kernel extensions enabled.

I explored the code for the Slirp interface in Sheepshaver and it seems to come from an ancient version of Qemu. I wonder if it would help if I could somehow make the new SLIRP code from newer qemu versions work. But before I invest time in that I would like to know if other people are also experiencing this issue.

Best,
Milan
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

milan475 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:17 am I've confirmed the problem lays within the SLIRP interface. By doing the following I am able to circumvent the issue.

1 Installed the tun tap extension using tunnelbick
2 Rebooted in recovery mode and enabled third party kernel extensions.
3 Used kextload to load the tap extension
4 Stared sheepshaver as root so the tap interface is created
5 Shared the internet connection to the tap0 using this guide: https://gist.github.com/andriytk/bd3def ... 436c779027

Now my internet connection stays stable no matter how long I use it. While this definitely works it's a bit cumbersome to have to start Sheepshaver as root and I'd rather not have third party kernel extensions enabled.

I explored the code for the Slirp interface in Sheepshaver and it seems to come from an ancient version of Qemu. I wonder if it would help if I could somehow make the new SLIRP code from newer qemu versions work. But before I invest time in that I would like to know if other people are also experiencing this issue.

Best,
Milan
I haven't experienced the issue, but I don't generally keep SheepShaver open long enough with networking software to experience it.

It would be really nice to have the modern QEMU networking backported to BII and SheepShaver. This would give us not only Slirp, but also possibly Sungem emulation as well.
cross
Space Cadet

Post by cross »

I am having a similar problem, but before starting a new topic thought I would reply here. I'm running newest sheepsaver 2.5 on an Intel Mac, 13.x. I followed the guide (https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... os_x_setup), installed Mac OS 8.5, but network isn't working. My TCP/IP control panel is empty (as expected) but after I start a browser it never connects, and the TCP/IP control panel reports a 169.254 address.

You are mentioning slirp here, but I see nothing about that. The instruction said to run ethernet, DHCP, which is how I configured the system 8 machine. It doesn't appear to be querying the DHCP server on my network, and if SheepSaver is supposed to be acting as a DHCP server, it isn't working.

Can someone help? If this is not relevant to this thread, I'll start a new one. Thanks.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The last line at point "5. Configure settings in Miscellaneous tab" in the guide says to enter slirp at Ethernet Interface.
Did you do that?

Best,
Cat_7
cross
Space Cadet

Post by cross »

Bah. Nope, missed that. I skimmed through and got the sense of "don't mess with those things down there" from that last section. I didn't read it carefully enough. Thanks. Got it working now...