New installation with Dropbox ...

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

New installation with Dropbox ...

Post by rlesperance »

I use SheepShaver (SS) to run an accounting app that only runs on OS9. All SS setup files (MAC OS ROM, keycodes, etc ..) are in my Library folder (~/Library/Application support/SheepShaver).

The accounting files are in one of my personal folders in my Dropbox folder (~/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox/Accounting). Only my personal files are in my Dropbox folder, no system files are in Dropbox. FYI, the CloudStorage folder is the Apple OS dedicated folder for cloud services since OS12.5.

With this setup, I have been running SS just fine for a long time on my iMac Intel running Ventura. I recently installed SS on a MBA M2 also running Ventura. The MBA's setup files are nested like on my iMac. I was able to launch SS and modify SS's settings. When launched I cannot see the content of the Unix folder (~/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox/Accounting/SheepShaver) that I defined in the settings.

I suspect that the problem is related to the fact that both installations are pointing to the same files in Dropbox. After installing SS on the MBA, I checked SS on iMac and it works as usual. On my MBA, SS launches but I cannot see the content of the MBA's Unix folder.

I tried to figure out what could be the problem, but from here I would need your help.
Last edited by rlesperance on Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: New installation with Dropbox ...

Post by adespoton »

You're most likely running up against Apple's security policies: SheepShaver likely doesn't have access to the folder.

Does someone have simple instructions on how to grant an application access to a particular folder?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

A similar path works correctly here (MBA M2, Ventura), but only if I specify the folder with its full address (/Users/MYNAME/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox) and not with ~/Library, etc.

I don't have SheepShaver listed under Full Disk Access in System Settings, though it can't hurt to add it there.
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Hi Emendelson,

Thanks for your input ... and excuse for my late return. I created a new folder and everything came back... Probably access privileges were inadequate.

My problem now is with the funny behavior of the accounting app regarding my app's files. Is there, by any chance, anyone using Simply Accounting app with SheepShaver and Dropbox and that could be of any help ?