Desired: QEMU Step by Step for the Compleat Idiot / Newbie Beginner

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

AHunter3
Tinkerer

Desired: QEMU Step by Step for the Compleat Idiot / Newbie Beginner

Post by AHunter3 »

I would like to run Panther (MacOS 10.3) in emulation on an Intel Mac. I've never done QEMU and I never got very far attempting PearPC. All of the QEMU guides I encounter don't seem to begin with Chapter 1. Or they assume I know stuff I don't know.

Anything involving a command line should be ridiculously explicit. I don't have enough experience compiling things to be able to intuit how to adapt a generalized instructon to fit my specific environment. A good portion of the instrux I've read seem to assume I've QEMU'd a dozen previous environments and just need to learn how to set up a MacOSX PPC environment specifically.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Desired: QEMU Step by Step for the Compleat Idiot / Newbie Beginner

Post by adespoton »

If you want something simpler that doesn't involve trial and error,
This requires you bring your own Panther ISO, but everything else is pretty straightforward. The Panther UTM Config contains further instructions in its comments, but this setup is already configured with a blank HD image and the appropriate memory and hardware settings.

That said, the QEMU binaries provided here come with a pretty detailed set of instructions on the Wiki and a configuration script that should "just work" with Panther once you've added the ISO path.

Which is the part that's got you stumped, so we can update the Wiki instructions?