Stuffit Expander Hates Me

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Megaboz
Space Cadet

Stuffit Expander Hates Me

Post by Megaboz »

I'm trying to get hard drive images set up to use with BlueSCSI, but have hit an unexpected snag: I can't get any version of Stuffit Expander (SE) to work in Mac emulators to install third-party software.

Some background: I'm working on a Mac SE and Performa 6360, and attempting to install software downloaded from Macintosh Garden. While figuring out which version of SE to install on each machine is a chore in itself, I think I've narrowed things down to v4.0.2 on the SE and v5.5 on the 6360. I'm using Mini vMac to emulate a 6.0.8 environment for the SE's .hda file, and Sheepshaver with 7.6.1 for the 6360 (Diskjockey was used to create the .hda files for each). This is all hosted on a late 2019 MacBook Pro (Intel) running macOS 14.4.1.

In Mini vMac in 6.0.8, when I try double-clicking a .sit file the screen flashes for a second like SIT is loading, but then nothing further happens -- it's almost like an application crash in macOS 14. The same thing occurs if I try the Expand... command from within SIT. In Sheepshaver running 7.6.1 the situation is much more dramatic: double-clicking on a .sit file or expanding it manually through SIT causes Sheepshaver itself to crash -- this also happens with a double-compressed file like .sit.bin.

Clearly, other people aren't experiencing this issue, as no one else seems to have reported it in any of the forums I've looked at (including this one). Now granted, it's been a decade and a half since I've used pre-OS X systems, but I can't think of what I might be doing wrong here. Any suggestions?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Stuffit Expander Hates Me

Post by adespoton »

Are you using Stuffit Expander 5.5 in 7.6.1? Is the file you're expanding physically on a disk image prior to attempting to expand it and not in the Unix folder?

My workflow is:
SS/BII:
Grab .sit or .sit.bin file from Unix folder (or download it from MG with Classilla) and copy it to my boot image. Drag from there onto my Expander alias. Delete .sit file.
MvM:
Import .sit or .sit.bin via the ImportFl app. Launch Expander and select the file from where I saved it on disk. Delete .sit file.
Megaboz
Space Cadet

Post by Megaboz »

adespoton wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:53 pm Are you using Stuffit Expander 5.5 in 7.6.1? Is the file you're expanding physically on a disk image prior to attempting to expand it and not in the Unix folder?
Yes, and yes. I have an "Incoming" folder on the .hda files that I transfer all compressed files to.
adespoton wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:53 pm SS/BII:
Grab .sit or .sit.bin file from Unix folder (or download it from MG with Classilla) and copy it to my boot image. Drag from there onto my Expander alias. Delete .sit file.
MvM:
Import .sit or .sit.bin via the ImportFl app. Launch Expander and select the file from where I saved it on disk. Delete .sit file.
Yep, that's what I've been doing as well. FYI, the drag-n-drop method in Sheepshaver causes the emulator to crash as well. I'm out of ideas as to why SIT keeps breaking on me; as far as I can tell, I'm following SOP.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Megaboz wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:07 am
adespoton wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:53 pm Are you using Stuffit Expander 5.5 in 7.6.1? Is the file you're expanding physically on a disk image prior to attempting to expand it and not in the Unix folder?
Yes, and yes. I have an "Incoming" folder on the .hda files that I transfer all compressed files to.
adespoton wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:53 pm SS/BII:
MvM:
Yep, that's what I've been doing as well. FYI, the drag-n-drop method in Sheepshaver causes the emulator to crash as well. I'm out of ideas as to why SIT keeps breaking on me; as far as I can tell, I'm following SOP.
This sounds like you may have an issue with your OS -- maybe something got corrupted?
Megaboz
Space Cadet

Post by Megaboz »

adespoton wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:53 pm This sounds like you may have an issue with your OS -- maybe something got corrupted?
That's a possibility, but considering I'm able to run other applications via disk images, I'm doubtful that's what's going on. Anything on a .dsk or .img works.

I need to revise my statement earlier, however. I tried running the Win10 version of Mini vMac with the same setup as before (System 6.0.8, Mac SE ROM). I imported a couple of .sit files from Mac Garden (LodeRunner and GNOP), and then ran Stuffit Expander 4.0.2. This time, when I clicked the Expand... command from the drop-down menu and navigated to the location on the hard drive image with the .sit files, Stuffit couldn't see them -- all that showed up in the file requester were the other folders on the drive image. My memory was apparently faulty in my original post, because that is what happened earlier on the Mac version of the Mini vMac client, too.