BasiliskII for Windows

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Sebiohazard
Mac Mechanic

Re: BasiliskII for Windows

Post by Sebiohazard »

Goodnight all !

When I discovered this forum a few years ago, I downloaded here a version of Basilisk for Windows with lots of utilities as well as the ROM for the functioning of the emulator.

Unfortunately I can't find it anymore... I think it was the 2010 version...
I assume you removed it because of the ROM ? I would like to know where I can download this ROM? What is it called what is its size & its MD5 ?

Thanks best regards !
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Good morning over here ;-)
I removed the old downloads due to excessive hits on the download site.

If you ran the 2010 version, be sure to read our guide on the newer builds: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/basilisk_ii_setup
It also provides a hint to where to download a suitable rom file.

Best,
Cat_7
Sebiohazard
Mac Mechanic

Post by Sebiohazard »

Hello thank you for your answer :)

I found a pack of ROMs on the net but there are so many of them of all sizes that I am lost... there are even two packs... an old & a new world... if I had the MD5 of the necessary ROM would be easier :)

Thanks !
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Cat_7 suggested to read our BasiliskII setup guide. From that guide:
"Search for the redundant robot sheepshaver tutorial site and download the performa rom."
Sebiohazard
Mac Mechanic

Post by Sebiohazard »

OK thanks I found the ROM :)

On the other hand the version of Basilisk with the sound at startup has also disappeared ?

Thanks !
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

All recent builds support the startup sound option found in that old build.

Best,
Cat_7
Sebiohazard
Mac Mechanic

Post by Sebiohazard »

Alright how do we do it now ? I placed sun son in .wav format at the root of the executable by renaming it " boing.wav " but it doesn't work ?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Rename the file to startup.wav

Best,
Cat_7
Sebiohazard
Mac Mechanic

Post by Sebiohazard »

Excellent the sound works :)

For those interested the MD5 of the ROM I use for Basilisk is: af343f3f1362bf29cefd630687efaa25
Initialise_Disk
Space Cadet

Post by Initialise_Disk »

How can I tranfer files to my 7.1 install? Apparently the "My Computer" folder just doesn't show up if I'm running anything earlier than System 7.5.3.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Initialise_Disk wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:47 pm How can I tranfer files to my 7.1 install? Apparently the "My Computer" folder just doesn't show up if I'm running anything earlier than System 7.5.3.
Answered in viewtopic.php?p=76157#p76157
Initialise_Disk
Space Cadet

Post by Initialise_Disk »

How can I install on my emulated hard drive? If I list it as drive it just asks me to initialise it.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Do it from a 7.5.3 install? Or if you've got OpenTransport installed, you could download it directly. Or, stick it on a disk image BII will mount. I seem to recall I stuck one on MG specifically for that purpose, but I haven't been able to locate it with a quick search. Or, you can use HFV Explorer.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I've uploaded a new Basilisk build. The build should be considered experimental
It supports drag and drop of disk images onto the Basilisk window to mount images of CDs, HDs, and floppies. They show up as read-only CDs. See the first post in this thread.
Note that this does not improve on the types of images Basilisk can read.

Best,
Cat_7
S6Bow
Student Driver

Post by S6Bow »

I live in Japan.
When we mount a Windows drive with BasiliskII and access a Windows file, the time stamp of the file advances by about 14 hours.
This is a problem with the normal Windows drive mounting functionality.
In addition, the region of MacOS time on BasiliskII is Tokyo, Japan.
Last edited by S6Bow on Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

S6Bow wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:33 am I live in Japan.
When we mount a Windows drive with BasiliskII and access a Windows file, the time stamp of the file advances by about 14 hours.
This seems like a time zone issue that should really be affecting everyone, due to the difference between Classic Mac and Windows timestamp formatting. Japan would probably notice it more than others, since the difference would be larger.

Anyone have time to dig into the code to investigate this part of the shared folder experience?

I presume this is specifically about the shared folder (My Computer), and not about mounting a DOS disk image read/write? And Windows-specific (I don't recall seeing this issue on macOS or Linux)?
psh
Tinkerer

Post by psh »

Hi, i want to ask one thing (idk if this is the right place to post it) but if i want to connect to a irc, how i do it?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

psh wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:25 pm Hi, i want to ask one thing (idk if this is the right place to post it) but if i want to connect to a irc, how i do it?
If you want to connect to an IRC server from within Basilisk II for Windows?

You should just be able to run a Mac OS IRC client.

I'd check out the Recommended Clients (IRC) section of https://macintoshgarden.org/forum/offic ... assic-macs - it also provides links to instructions for how to set things up with various IRC servers.
jimpqfly
Space Cadet

Post by jimpqfly »

I just installed Basilisk. Took me a whole hour to find out it was unable to use 256kB ROM like Mac SE... Could be good to have a README.TXT about this, somewhere, or a clear warning?
Now, I'm using IIci ROM (512), but I'm struggling to add a Shared folder as Basilisk doesn't mount any of my local folders...
Not very easy...
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

We do have an extensive guide including a suggestion which rom to use when running Basilisk. Not all roms support all of Basilisk's features.
https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/basilisk_ii_setup

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

jimpqfly wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:30 pm I just installed Basilisk. Took me a whole hour to find out it was unable to use 256kB ROM like Mac SE... Could be good to have a README.TXT about this, somewhere, or a clear warning?
Now, I'm using IIci ROM (512), but I'm struggling to add a Shared folder as Basilisk doesn't mount any of my local folders...
Not very easy...
Beyond Cat_7's link to the exhaustive setup instructions which would have helped you avoid the issues you've experienced, there's a few other helpful things to note:
  • Mini vMac, Basilisk II and SheepShaver all emulate very specific computers. BII and SS can pretend to emulate other hardware, and can emulate some bits that the original hardware didn't, but not everything.
    • To emulate a Mac SE, you'd be best off getting a custom Mac SE build of Mini vMac, which fully emulates the Mac SE. There's no SE build available pre-compiled; you can build it yourself or use the variations service here: https://www.gryphel.com/c/minivmac/beta.html -- note that Paul's been missing for a few years, but appears to have fully automated his build bot, so the variations service still works.
  • Basilisk II source code has the ability to build a 24-bit target, but this is disabled in the official builds.
  • emaculation.com and all of us who hang out here didn't write Basilisk II or the other emulators referenced on this website. One of the moderators provides builds for people to use, a few people who hack at the source code monitor the forums here, and a few people here try and keep the Wiki documentation up to date to make things easier for those trying to use the emulators. If you find things that are missing in the documentation or could be improved, feel free to suggest improvements :)
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

The latest build available in the first post fixes an issue with the mouse in the Apeiron game.

Best,
Cat_7
S6Bow
Student Driver

Post by S6Bow »

BasiliskII was updated to (17-12-2023), but the problem with the timestamps being off by 14 hours on Windows drives was not fixed. :sad:
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

S6Bow wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:39 am
BasiliskII was updated to (17-12-2023), but the problem with the timestamps being off by 14 hours on Windows drives was not fixed. :sad:
See my comment above -- this isn't just a Japan issue; it's a shared folders logic issue (because time zones are handled differently on classic Mac OS and modern Windows). If you've got any spare time to look through the shared folder source code and find what needs to be updated, it's possible someone comfortable with that code could add in the required function to check the time stamp difference and adjust for it.
raytoei
Space Cadet

Post by raytoei »

Hi, Cat 7,

i am a happy new user of Basilisk ii, one question i have is whether there are binaries to run 6.0.8 the reason is that i am trying to run Balance of Power and excel but they crash under 7.5. Mac os and Basilisk wont boot the original disks that came with the games.

btw, i read your guide it mentions only 7 to 8x Mac os?

thanks