BasiliskII for Windows

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

firehawk12
Student Driver

Re: BasiliskII for Windows

Post by firehawk12 »

Hello,
This is my first time trying to run the program, so forgive me if this is an obvious question, but I'm stuck on the part where the GUI is looking for the dlls found in the GTK+ installer.

I installed the GTK file found on the website, and I even copied over the dll files from the default installed directory into the directory where I have BasiliskII GUI installed and it still won't start - it tells me I'm missing the three dll files.

Am I missing a step?

I'm on Windows 10 x64 if that affects anything.

Thank you.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Just to make sure, did you start with Cat_7´s "Always start with this…"?
https://web.archive.org/web/20141121073 ... 1_2010.zip
(You may of course update the BasiliskII.exe to the recent one, once you are up and running.)
If you want to try a System 7.5.3 boot disk, there is one here: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macos-753-emulators

On a side note, you may also run the remade Build142, which runs more or less self contained.
It has floppy and SCSI support and offers a buch of Gestalt IDs too.
http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/downloads/Bas ... 8_2008.zip
Many still feel that this was the best build ever, at least for 32bit Windows, it runs in 64bit too though.
firehawk12
Student Driver

Post by firehawk12 »

24bit wrote:Just to make sure, did you start with Cat_7´s "Always start with this…"?
https://web.archive.org/web/20141121073 ... 1_2010.zip
(You may of course update the BasiliskII.exe to the recent one, once you are up and running.)
If you want to try a System 7.5.3 boot disk, there is one here: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macos-753-emulators

On a side note, you may also run the remade Build142, which runs more or less self contained.
It has floppy and SCSI support and offers a buch of Gestalt IDs too.
http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/downloads/Bas ... 8_2008.zip
Many still feel that this was the best build ever, at least for 32bit Windows, it runs in 64bit too though.
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I started with that webarchive package, then moved the updated .exe file into the folder. I just can't get BasiliskGUI to run because of the dll errors (which I assume is used to configure Basilisk itself, because if I try to run the Basilisk.exe without the GUI, it says it can't find a ROM).

I'll try that older one you linked at the bottom right now.

Edit: after some fiddling, I got it to work with the 2008 version. :)
I am just confused about how the disk mounting works... for some reason the emulator says that my disks are locked and I can't copy files, even though in the GUI I have them set as read/write.

Alternatively, is there a way to expand the size of a disk? Namely the system disk that I downloaded from the second link.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Good to hear you got Basilisk II running!
Disk images can not be expanded with the exception of sparse bundle ones.
It is very easy to make disk images of any size on a Mac, here are some collected:
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/disk-images-emulators

Usually you may move all your stuff from one disk (image) to another in MacOS without damage.
It may be, that you have to open System Folder and close it again, to make it bootable.

Just add an additional disk image in the Basilisk II Volumes GUI, run the emulator, initialise the new volume and copy over what you need.

You may also set up a new OS from scratch, MacOS Anthology is now available at Macintoshgarden.
There are lots of MacOS installers to pick from.
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-os-anthology-99
firehawk12
Student Driver

Post by firehawk12 »

24bit wrote:Good to hear you got Basilisk II running!
Disk images can not be expanded with the exception of sparse bundle ones.
It is very easy to make disk images of any size on a Mac, here are some collected:
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/disk-images-emulators

Usually you may move all your stuff from one disk (image) to another in MacOS without damage.
It may be, that you have to open System Folder and close it again, to make it bootable.

Just add an additional disk image in the Basilisk II Volumes GUI, run the emulator, initialise the new volume and copy over what you need.

You may also set up a new OS from scratch, MacOS Anthology is now available at Macintoshgarden.
There are lots of MacOS installers to pick from.
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-os-anthology-99
Thank you!
If the system in the emulator says the disk is locked though, is that something I need to set in the Basilisk GUI or something in the emulator itself? It says the image is mounted is read/write in the GUI, so I'm not sure if there's something else that I'm missing?
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Which MacOS image is locked exactly?
I´m not on Windows usually, but could take a look.

In some cases disk images become locked when moved over "foreign" non HFS file systems.
If that should be the case, I´m not aware how to unlock.
When I got those, I made a new image and copied over what was needed.

DiskCopy6 can create new images (on a big enough volume) of various flavours - maybe that helps?
firehawk12
Student Driver

Post by firehawk12 »

Both the one I used to boot into 7.5.3 that you linked above (http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macos-753-emulators) and the one I created in HFVExplorer when I was trying to follow the main instructions for the new version of Basalisk say that they are locked when I try to copy files around between the two drives. (I'm trying to install Hypercard).

Maybe it'd just be worth it to start all over again?

Thanks!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

You should only lock (make read-only) any disk image that you made from a CD to install from. Other files such as the hard disk image on which you install should be read-write.

Best,
Cat_7
firehawk12
Student Driver

Post by firehawk12 »

Yeah, unfortunately I'm not sure how it got locked in the first place. lol
Is it a setting in Basilisk or in the Macintosh 7 system itself?
Velek
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Velek »

I just made the "Release" Visual Studio 2017 build work but I had to comment out the VirtualProtect() call in vm_alloc.cpp.
I think it's tons faster, but now the mouse doesn't work so I can't quite use it well enough to see how much of an improvement it made :/.
Keyboard doesn't seem to work either. Problem with SDL?
It accepts input sporadically.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

firehawk12 wrote:Yeah, unfortunately I'm not sure how it got locked in the first place. lol
Is it a setting in Basilisk or in the Macintosh 7 system itself?
It's likely in Windows. Find the disk image, right click and select Properties, and uncheck Read-only if it's checked. It could also have to do with where you're storing the file; BII might not have write access in that location on your host.
Velek
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Velek »

I'm having a strange problem with the "Release" VS build. It only updates he screen sporadically, but it happens fast.
Audio works fine. I get an "Eep!" when it boots because I have to kill the application.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Did you check that you use a default resolution and frameskip 0 in the prefs?

Best,
Cat_7
Velek
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Velek »

Cat_7 wrote:Did you check that you use a default resolution and frameskip 0 in the prefs?

Best,
Cat_7
I just changed frameskip to 0, but it didn't change anything. This is what I have for the screen setting:
screen win/1600/1024/8
My "Debug" build works fine. Just sloooowly.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

That is a non-standard resolution.
Can you try 1024x768x32?

Best,
Cat_7
Velek
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Velek »

Cat_7 wrote:That is a non-standard resolution.
Can you try 1024x768x32?

Best,
Cat_7
Still no good. I put some debug printf()s in the SDL library but I'm not getting anything out.
Not sure its event task is operating.
EDIT: At least the frameskip change made my Debug build system work better. Almost completely usable, but still laggy.
Velek
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Velek »

I just fixed one bug in video_vosf.h where it wasn't creating a mutex because it had the wrong define for the Windows platform.
Still, it doesn't work right. I can't get the mouse pointer off of the edge of the screen and it only likes to update when I move the mouse out of and back into the emulator's window.
Velek
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Velek »

Yes, for some reason in my "Release" build, the screen won't refresh unless I move the mouse pointer in and out of the window.
It's getting mouse events but the mouse pointer won't move off of the edge of the screen. Plus I can change folder names, etc., so keyboard events are getting through.
Everything is going to be instantaneous if I can figure this problem out.
Plus, oddly, the clock is 8 hours fast. It doesn't have that problem in my "Debug" build.
Velek
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Velek »

I finally got my Release build to run in my tree by replacing the pram data file :/.
Quicker than the Debug image, but still a little laggy.
I had the wild notion of swapping out some of the QuickDraw routines for native routines.
Also, for some odd reason, the clock is still 8 hours fast even though the timezone is set correctly.
I've also been setting the Basilisk process to High priority in the Windows Task Manager which seems to help.
Fast enough for me to start monkeying around with coding C++ apps.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Can we give that build a go?

Best,
Cat_7
Velek
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Velek »

Cat_7 wrote:Can we give that build a go?

Best,
Cat_7
Hang on. I think I was premature!
Velek
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Velek »

Yes, I have too many things going on. Still trying to figure out why the screen doesn't update in the Release build.
Velek
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Velek »

Unfortunately I'm traveling for the month of November and I'll have my Linux laptop and my MacBook Pro but not Windows.
I guess I'll see how those platforms work.
I'm also interested in Android and iPad platforms.
I have a little side project I'm doing. Printing off the 1995 version of "Inside Macintosh" to PDF.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Will this differ significantly from the PDF I generated from my Apple DocViewer copy of IM 1995? Or is that what you're doing too?
Velek
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Velek »

adespoton wrote:Will this differ significantly from the PDF I generated from my Apple DocViewer copy of IM 1995? Or is that what you're doing too?
Yes, I'm doing it. I have two VMs working on it, so I have most of it. I'll probably repost it to Macintosh Repository.
Where did you put your copy?
If you're savvy I could use some help figuring out why the Release build on VS2017 doesn't quite work.