Login  •  Register

The time is now: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:05 pm

Emaculation wiki  •  Delete all board cookies

Print view Previous topic  |  Next topic
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:24 am 
Space Cadet

I have successfully installed mini vMac on my Windows Vista PC, and I can boot up an emulated mac. My problem is that I can't seem to successfully install any games.

I used HFVExplorer to install Stuffit expander onto my emulated mac without a problem.

However when I got to download a game at Macintosh Garden (http://mac.the-underdogs.info/index.php ... me&id=1008) it will download a .SIT file named "GCQGTONRLYLVAAZOBWFG.SIT". I can transfer this file over to my emulated PC, but I can't get unstuffed once there.

I tried unstuffing it on my Windows Vista PC, and it resulted in just one file named "Radical Castle 1.1". I transfered this file over to the emulated mac using HFVExplorer, and again, it won't play.

What am I doing wrong? Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance. I can't get any games to work!

Reply with quote Post a reply  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:46 am 
Site Admin

You mean to say that you use HFV Explorer to transfer it to your emulated Mac, right? More specifically, the hard disk image you are using with your emulated Mac, right?

Have you tried running stuffit in the emulated Mac and then tried selecting "expand" from the menu and browsing to the file you want to expand, rather than just double-clicking on the archive?

If that doesn't work, try explaining in more detail what happens when you try to expand the archive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:29 am 
Space Cadet

Correct, I use HFVExplorer to transfer the file I download from the Macintosh Garden website to the hard disk image I use with my emulated Mac.

I tried your suggestion of opening Stuffit Expander directly and attempting to navigate to the .SIT file. This did not work. Stuffit was able to read all the other files on my emulated mac drive, but the .SIT file didn't even show up.

When I drag the .SIT file onto stuffit expander, Stuffit opens, but hen nothing happens.

Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:32 am 
Master Emulator

I agree with clockwise..

If you're on Windows, try to never unstuff .SIT, .SEA, or even .HQX while you're in any Microsoft Windows environment. Instead, transfer those exact compressed files into your emulated Mac OS (whatever) environment and un-stuff/decompress/decode them from within the emulated Mac OS.

If you unstuff any kind of Macintosh executable program or self-extracting archive (which is itself a miniature program) from within Windows, you will damage the resource fork information of that file, rendering it unusable when transferred to any real or emulated Mac OS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:35 am 
Master Emulator

if nothing happens with the .SIT archive, then most likely that .SIT archive is one of 3 things:

1) it was compressed with a later version of Stuff-It, which might be incompatible with your presumably older version of the Stuff-It/Stuff-It Expander program or Stuff-It system extension.

2) It is an incomplete download... Try re-downloading it.

3) The resource fork of that file has been damaged. Try re-downloading the file again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:08 am 
Site Admin

To follow up on Kikkoman's last post:

What version of Stuffit are you using? If you aren't already, try using version 5.5:

http://www.emaculation.com/basilisk/stu ... der_55.bin

That should take care of most of what is on Macintosh Garden.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:48 pm 
Expert User

You probably need at least Stuffit Expander 5 to expand this file. Here, Stuffit Expander 4.0.1 (on System 7.0.1 in Mini vMac) cannot handle the archive, but Stuffit Expander 5.5 (on System 7.5.5 in BasiliskII) expands it fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:37 pm 
Space Cadet

Thanks for the advice guys. I downloaded the new Stuffit you linked, transferred it to my mac, and tried to install it, but I got 2 error messages:

1. This version of Stuffit Expander requires system software version 7.1.1, which this system does not have.

2. This version of Stuffit Expander requires at least 80000k of physical memory, which this system does not have.

I installed my mac using the Mac-on-a Stick package available on this page:
http://www.pendriveapps.com/2007/09/13/ ... usb-stick/

Direct download link:
http://files.filefront.com/Mac+On+A+Sti ... einfo.html

My mac is only version 6 point something, whatever comes with that download package.

Can you point me to a tutorial that would shouw me how to install 7.1.1 and increase my physical memory?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:54 pm 
Space Cadet

P.S. I found a tutorial for installing version 7 of the mac software here:

http://nothickmanuals.info/doku.php?id=minivmac

However, step 5 asks me to "Unpack the System_7.0.1.smi.bin archive and move the image files into the Mac-on-Stick folder."

Again, this is a .bin file, so I can't seem to unpack it on my windows machine. Any advice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:26 pm 
Site Admin

Oh. You're using System 6. Are you sure the game even runs in System 6? The stuff on Macintosh Garden skews a bit towards System 7.

If you want to install System 7, you might want to try using Basilisk II instead of vMac. Here's a tutorial:

http://emaculation.com/doku.php/basilisk_ii_setup

If you really must install System 7 on your Mini vMac setup, you can sort of follow the Basilisk II directions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:30 pm 
Master Emulator

ok.... let's see if we can clear this up a bit more but first, we need a bit more info from you:

What emulator are you using?

What is the exact Mac OS version number? (you mentioned 6.x, but which one exactly?)

How much Physical RAM do you have installed on your Windows Vista PC (the host machine)?

How much RAM do you have allocated to the Mac emulator?

What other version(s) of the Mac OS are in your possession? (7.x?, 8.x?, 9.x?)

If you are using vMac or some other Macintosh emulator, then have you at least tried Basilisk][ (Basilisk 2)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:13 am 
Space Cadet

I really appreciate you guys helping me on this!

Since last posting I have successfully installed Basilisk II, so here are my current stats:

Host Machine: HP laptop running Windows vista with 3 gigs of ram.

Mac Emulator #1: vMac Mini running system 7.0.1.
- I don't know how much ram is allocated. It runs on a 24 meg disk image.

Mac Emulator #1: Basilisk II running system 7.5.3
- 200 Megs of ram allocated

Radical Castle will not run on either of these, although I have gotten a lot of other games to run on my Basilisk II.

I think it would run on the vMac with the oder system if I could get it to unstuff successfully. Unfortunately that requires Stuffit Expander 5.5. In order to install stuffit 5.5 I apparently need to have system 7.1 and 80000k of memory, and I don't know how to change this.

Any advice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:56 am 
Site Admin

That's a tricky situation. I tried it out... Radical Castle will NOT run in System 7. But that archive CANNOT be expanded in System 6!

BUT...

You can just expand the archive in System 7 and then copy the resulting file over to your system 6 disk image for later use.

I mounted two disk images in Basilisk II. One containing a system 7 install and one containing a System 6 install. I booted from the system 7 image (make sure it is at the top on the list in the basilisk GUI), expanded the archive (using Stuffit 5.5) and then copied the expanded program over to the hard disk containing my System 6 install.

Then I booted Mini vMac using just the system 6 disk and ran the program. The program is just that one file, by the way. Double click to run.

Can you follow that? It's all sort of complicated.

TIP: This game must be run in SYSTEM 6, I think. So your System 7 setup with Mini vMac is no good. Were you using System 6 when you made the original post? I've got a system 6 setup guide somewhere here if you need it...

Last edited by ClockWise on Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:28 pm 
Space Cadet

Wow ClockWise, very clever!

I mistyped when I wrote that I was running system 6 earlier. The only mini vMac that I got to run was running 7.0.1 and I only got that to work because I downloaded a zip file that included everything you need to get up and running.

Can you point me to a tutorial that shows how to set up a mini VMac using system 6.x please? If you can do that, I think I might be able to do the rest on my own. maybe not though :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

Setting up System 6:

http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/mini_vmac_setup

Let us know if it all works for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:14 am 
Master Emulator

kikkoman wrote:
If you're on Windows, try to never unstuff .SIT, .SEA, or even .HQX while you're in any Microsoft Windows environment. Instead, transfer those exact compressed files into your emulated Mac OS (whatever) environment and un-stuff/decompress/decode them from within the emulated Mac OS.

If you unstuff any kind of Macintosh executable program or self-extracting archive (which is itself a miniature program) from within Windows, you will damage the resource fork information of that file, rendering it unusable when transferred to any real or emulated Mac OS.
I'm a bit surprised no one mentioned this:

Every program I've seen capable of extracting Stuffit archives on a PC usually has some option somewhere for extracting files to MacBinary format. Once the files are thusly extracted, any old version of Stuffit (and also a bunch of much tinier programs) should be capable of decoding each MacBinary-encoded file on the destination computer.

Of course, the downside is that you'd have to decode each file in the archive individually, but usually there aren't that many files involved.