Login  •  Register

The time is now: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:16 pm

Emaculation wiki  •  Delete all board cookies

Post new topic  Reply to topic Page 1 of 2 [ 46 posts ]    Go to page 1, 2  Next
Print view Previous topic  |  Next topic
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:24 pm 
Expert User

Hi,

EDIT: a guide detailing the steps to take to get this to work is available here:
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/app ... heepshaver

I'm attempting to get tap device based networking running in SheepShaver in OSX. I've got some progress to report, but can't seem to get it fully running. An obvious benefit would be more complete networking support than through the slirp connection.

Maybe some community help might work?
Here's what I did so far (in Mac OS 8.5, as 9.0.4 seems to crash if I change networking settings with the TCP/IP control panel):

-Download and install tuntaposx from http://tuntaposx.sourceforge.net/
(also easily uninstalled)
-In SheepShaver preferences set network preference to "tap0" instead of "slirp"
-In terminal, cd into SheepShaver.app/Contents/MacOS and start SheepShaver as root with "sudo ./SheepShaver"
-In another terminal window start the tap device immediately after starting SheepShaver with: "sudo ifconfig tap0 172.19.3.10 netmask 255.255.255.0" (the ip-address can be any, I just used an unused address on my internal network)
-On the Mac OS 8.5 side, start the TCP/IP control panel and choose connect through ethernet, manually, ip-address 172.19.3.15 (on the same subnet as the tap device), subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and the tap device's ip-address as router. I used DNS entries from my hosts network connection.

In the terminal window from which the tap device was started you can issue the command "sudo tcpdump -ni tap0" and you will see the traffic that runs through the tap device.

If you then start e.g., internet explorer in Mac OS, you see it communicating with the tap device, asking for dns information on the requested site etc, but nothing gets through. I'm guessing it's a routing problem, but that's where I'm stuck....

I tried to enable ip forwarding in the tap device terminal window with "sudo sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1" but it doesn't make the connection work.

Does anyone have any breakthrough insights? Or knows someone who.. or knows a forum that...

Happy experimenting,
Cat_7

Last edited by Cat_7 on Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:54 am, edited 4 times in total.

Reply with quote Post a reply  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:33 pm 
Inquisitive Elf

i cannot help you with osx-specific stuff, but it seems that you are pretty close.
maybe it is "only" a dns problem, try entering 209.85.171.100 into your browser, if you see the google-page, then it IS only a dns problem....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:57 am 
Expert User

Hi,

I did try connecting directly without requiring DNS resolution, but that was a no go. I will try with the graphical front-end for the tun/tap devices, called "Tunnelblick" to see if I get a route set up for the ethetnet packets to travel... :lol:

Much work to do: trying to build a SheepShaver that supports full screen (as per the patch provided by our member "vasi") and getting this to work.
I miss my development machine, while I'm succesfully hiding from the carnival turmoil in the south of the Netherlands by moving temporarily to Amsterdam....

Best,
Cat_7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:18 pm 
Expert User

Ok.

I've got SheepShaver to connect to the internet (this is the proof...) through the tap device. My solution needs the program IPNetRouter (not free!) but downloadable as trail software.

Configuration:
ethernet: 172.19.3.8
tap device 172.19.3.10
mac os 172.19.3.15 (subnet 255.255.255.0, router 172.19.3.10)

In the IPNetRouter software, I bridged my real ethernet card with the tap device. No other setting needed.

And the best is yet to come: it also supports Appletalk from SheepShaver with Mac OS 9.0.4 to my trusty PM 4400 with Mac OS 8.6 :lol:

The worst as well: If I set up networking like this, I loose my normal internet connection...But on the other side: this is true Classic, and nothing else.

Cat_7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:17 am 
Space Cadet

This is really exciting!, good work!

So, would this theoretically allow me to network two itel macs (10.5.6) running sheepshaver (9.0.4)? and possibly play some classic games over a LAN? 8O

Also, Which version of IPNetRouter are you running? :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:48 am 
Expert User

Hi,

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, that should be possible with this setup. But I haven't tried. I used IPNetRouterX 1.4c2.

And even though I had this connection running (it was rather stable) I haven't been able to reproduce it afterwards. Somewhere along in the process I must have made a setting that now escapes me....:oops:

I guess it has something to do with the "route add" command or IP-forwarding.

Good luck!
Cat_7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:04 am 
Expert User

Hi,

I can now confidently create a connection between two apple talk machines on my network, with either BasiliskII running OS 8 or SheepShaver running OS 9.

What is required is described above. HOWEVER, you need to run the command "sudo tcpdump -ni en0" (*) from a terminal window to have the two machines see each other. Don't ask me why, but it now works all the time (maybe it's a timing issue?).

(*)replace "en0" in that command with the name of the interface your OSX networking uses.

Copying data with BasiliskII/OS8 is a lot slower than with SheepShaver/OS9.

Now of to find a network game to see if it's any good... :lol:

Cat_7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:22 pm 
Student Driver

Did anyone else continue playing with this? It would be nice if we didn't have to resort to expensive commercial software to get this to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:42 am 
Expert User

I'm sure the routing/bridging issue can also be solved using OSX tools/commands. But building in direct support for tap based networking in SheepShaver should be done by some developer.

Cat_7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:31 am 
Student Driver

I'm having a bit of trouble with this, Cat_7. Here is a guide to tell you (and the rest of cyberspace) exactly what I have done so far.

My system set-up: Mac OSX running SheepShaver VM Launcher Beta 4 (found in http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... c&start=25) emulating System 9.0.4. This application is sitting in a folder labelled 'Classic', which is sitting on my Desktop. The IP-addresses currently running on my Airport Network are:

10.0.1.1 (the Airport Express router)
10.0.1.3 (another Mac)
10.0.1.4 (the Mac I am playing with)

and the IP addresses that I want to create are:

10.0.1.8 (for tap0)
10.0.1.12 (for my OS9 emulated machine)

The IPs that I want to create were chosen randomly and are currently unassigned.

Here is the procedure that I took to try your method:

I installed the TunTap code and IPNetRouterX in OSX, and MacPing 3.0.4 in OS9.

In Terminal Window #1, I executed the line:

'sudo Desktop/Classic/SheepShaverLauncher_b4.app/Contents/MacOS/SheepShaverLauncher'

entered my password and followed the SheepShaver GUI that popped up to load and open my System 9. I also made sure to change my SheepShaver internet settings to connect using 'tap0' and not 'slirp'.

In Terminal Window #2, I executed the line:

'sudo ifconfig tap0 10.0.1.8 netmask 255.255.255.0'

and entered my password. This should have created the tap0 at address 10.0.1.8.

In OS9, in the TCP/IP control panel, I set it to configure manually with the IP address 10.0.1.12, on subnet 255.255.255.0 with the router address 10.0.1.8 (the tap0 address).

In OSX, in IPNetRouterX, I checked the 'bridge' box for the 'Airport (en1)' and 'BSD Interface (tap0)' interfaces. I then clicked 'Apply' and checked the box in the upper right corner of the application labelled 'IPNetRouter On'.

In Terminal Window #3, I executed the line:

'sudo tcpdump -ni en1'

and entered my password. The en1 is for the Airport Express Network that I am currently connecting OSX to the internet with.

Back in OS9, Internet Explorer still isn't working. Using MacPing, I could see 10.0.1.12 (the emulated computer), 10.0.1.8 (the tap0 address) and 10.0.1.4 (the host computer). I couldn't see 10.0.1.1 (the Airport Express router) or 10.0.1.3 (the other computer).

In OSX, I could ping everything except 10.0.1.8 (the tap0 address).

On the other computer, I could see 10.0.1.1 (the Airport Express router) and 10.0.1.4 (the host computer), but I couldn't see 10.0.1.12 (the emulated computer) or 10.0.1.8 (the tap0 address).

Have I screwed up anywhere, or do you have any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:29 pm 
Expert User

Hi,

Please make sure appletalk is active on startup (perhaps set it from a SheepShaver started with slirp as networking method if the tap0 version doesn't allow you to activate appletalk) and that TCP/IP is loaded all the time.

I'n now writing from SheepShaver with tap0 networking running. I couldn't find out how to configure TCP/IP manually again so I set it to DHCP (my router uses DHCP even though I have set most of my IP-addressess static to the MAC addresses of the network cards I have) and sure enough I got a working setup. I will try to set the same settings manually and see what it comes up with.

EDIT: I tried to set things manually, and it still works. The settings for TCP/IP in OS9 I got from DHCP are:
-ip-address 172.19.3.13 (anything in your subnet should be ok)
-subnet mask 255.255.0.0
-router address 172.19.3.1 (my real router)
-dns 217.149.196.6 (my real dns from the router)

So please check that you set up the subnet mask and DNS entry accordingly.
And of course file sharing should be started for macs to see each other through appletalk.

This both works with DHCP and manual settings

Best,
Cat_7

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:31 pm 
Expert User

I just ran Bolo, a free networked tank game, on my two machines connected with Appletalk and it just works! :lol:

Cat_7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:52 pm 
Site Admin

Fun fact: In 2003, Bolo creator Stuart Chesire was named the 19th most powerful person in the Mac industry!

http://www.macjournals.com/gcsf/mdj_power_25_2003.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:10 am 
Space Cadet

seems that under osX 10.6 tuntaposx is no longer funtioning.
If I try to activate tap0 from the terminal by

sudo ifconfig tap0 10.0.0.216 netmask 255.255.255.0

ipconfig reports
interface tap0 does not exist

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:13 am 
Expert User

This is normal, also in 10.5.X: The tap device only gets created when SheepShaver is started as root with tap0 set as networking device. Only then you can activate/configure the tap device.

I just installed 10.6 on my Hackintosh, let's see what happens if I try.

Cat_7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:42 am 
Space Cadet

thnx for your response Cat_7

got the whole thing now loading without errors however still no go. If I switch tcp/ip to dhcp on Mac OS 8.6 it assigns an adress in the 10.0.2.XXX range (that is the build in dhcp server of sheepshaver).

question. Do you have printing TCP/IP printing working under 10.6? I had to use the "SheepShaver UB 2009-08-23" build to overcome the "cannot map ram" error under 10.6. But since I switched to this build I can no longer print. That is the main reason why I'm looking for a direct network connection from sheepshaver to my network.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:43 pm 
Space Cadet

for those interested in my printing problem (now fixed) see
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5824

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:46 am 
Student Driver

Hi Cat_7,

So, when you open up TCP/IP in OS9 it automatically fills in the appropriate settings? I'm just asking this because the settings that it fills in automatically when I open up DHCP are:

IP Address: 169.254.20.79
Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
Router address: 169.254.20.79
Name server addr.: 239.255.255.251

which don't allow me to connect to the internet. However, the OSX terminal window that is listening to traffic on my airport network via the command 'sudo tcpdump -ni en1' is seeing OS9's Internet Explorer default webpage trying to connect. Here is an example of the data from the OSX terminal window:

22:38:13.693548 IP 169.254.59.37.49152 > 239.255.255.251.53: 1+ A? www.media.euro.apple.com. (42)

Any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:57 am 
Expert User

Hi,

Yes, a self-assigned ip address gets you nowhere ;-) (on the internet)

Did you change the router address in OS 9? It should be the address of your real router, so 10.0.1.1

As I wrote earlier, to get thing going again I set OS 9 to DHCP and it got an address from my router. So in my situation that works. I then copied those settings to the manual settings option in TCP/IP and it still works. As I said, I changed the subnet mask from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0 and filled in my ISP's DNS.

In that line you copied from your tcp dump the originating address (169.254.59.37) doesn't seem to be your SheepShaver address. Is that tap device created with the correct address? As you know, you can check the configuration of all your networking devices with "ifconfig" or "ipconfig"
And do you have DHCP running on your router? If not (as you manually assigned addresses to your devices) SheepShaver can't find a DHCP server and subsequently assigns an IP-address to itself.

I'm in the process of making some web pages explaining the steps and will post them on my website soon.

EDIT: I have updated the first post in this thread, linking to the guide I announced.

Cat_7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:31 am 
Student Driver

Thankyou so much Cat_7 it works like a charm when I plug my computer directly into my router and bridge tap0 to my Ethernet card. However when I try to bridge it over my Wireless card (en1) I get nothing, not sure why. I recently upgraded to Snow Leopard. Has anyone else got this to work over the airport?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:52 pm 
Student Driver

I can't get it to work over my Airport (en1) either. However, I believe it has something to do with the 'actual' Airport IPs.

If you open up your Airport Utility, then click 'Continue' on your router, then keep clicking 'Continue' till you get to a screen with its Internet Settings, you'll see that they have a different IP Address, Subnet Mask and Router Address listed there. Maybe these are the 'true' settings?

I haven't had enough time in the past two weeks to actually figure out what these mean or how to set up SheepShaver using these, but if you figure it out, please do tell.

Edit: Ya, I got nothing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:29 am 
Student Driver

Hmmm. So, if you go to Airport Utility and click 'Continue', you'll get to a screen that has the internet settings:

IP Address: 207.xxx.xx.132
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router Address: 207.xxx.xx.1

But, if you go to Airport Utility and click 'Manual Setup', then click on the 'Internet' icon, you'll see:

IP Address: 207.xxx.xx.132
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router Address: 207.xxx.xx.1
DNS Server(s): 66.yyy.yyy.237
Domain Name: zz.myinternetprovider.net

Both the DNS Server and Domain Name fields are 'greyed out' but changeable, and they contain the numbers listed above. When I follow Cat_7's guide using any of the IP Address, Router Address or DNS Servers in OS9's TCP/IP-manual panel, OS9 still cannot connect.

I know this post may be less than helpful (and even annoying) for some, but I'm just letting everyone know where I stand.

Has anyone been able to get their Macs to connect wirelessly (using a base station that is not an Airport Express or Extreme)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:00 am 
Expert User

Can you connect through the wireless with normal Slirp networking?

Cat_7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:04 pm 
Student Driver

Yes I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:58 pm 
Expert User

Hi,

Maybe a studid remark, but you can't follow my guide to the letter with those TCP/IP settings. They have to be adapted to your own situation.

Can you give me your normal TCP IP settings for the airport connection? I'll see if I can come up with a numbering plan for you.

Cat_7

Post new topic  Reply to topic Page 1 of 2 [ 46 posts ]    Go to page 1, 2  Next