Login  •  Register

The time is now: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:18 am

Emaculation wiki  •  Delete all board cookies

Print view Previous topic  |  Next topic
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:12 am 
Space Cadet

I have various HyperCard installers, or so I'm told. I had floppies, but I was never able to get them into vMac and complete the installation. Well, now I have several .zip files that are supposed to have HyperCard in them. The .zip files were prepared on a Mac and I cannot extract them on my PC correctly (the files corrupt and it doesn't run in vMac). So, I'd like to extract the .zip files in my emulated OS 7, so I found DropStuff with Expander Enhancer, but it doesn't recognize my copy of Stuffit Expander as a personalized copy (vs 4.0, 5.0). So I'm at an impass. I have a disk image with HyperCard installed, but its in Sweedish, and thusly not much use. I really want to be able to install the program and I'm in no close proximity to a Mac any longer, so unzipping and then emailing myself the results is sort of out of the question.

Moreover, I have a copy of Hypercard that is in .sit.bin format, and the website I got it from said that I needed to use MountImage 1.2b2 to "mount the image file so you can install it" But, a .bin is not a recognized format. I don't undestand what the owner of the website was referencing.

Does anyone know how I can unzip these files or know a better way to get HyperCard on my vMac without using a Mac computer? I know its possible because the disk image I have with it installed is from the same gentleman who helped me get my installer disks in .zip format.

Reply with quote Post a reply  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:20 am 
Site Admin

http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/hypercard-player

Download the application there. Get it onto the hardfile you are using in vMac and then expand it within the emulator using Stuffit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:48 am 
Site Admin

Note:

Those files on Macintosh Garden can sometimes be hard to expand in Mini vMac. if you have trouble, just try this file:

http://www.emaculation.com/basilisk/hypercard.zip

It is a disk image you can just mount in Mini vMac like any other (after you have booted Mac OS). Hypercard is installed and ready to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:56 am 
Space Cadet

Thank you very much. I can open the player you link to very easily, and I greatly appreciate your help.

Unfortunately, I'm really looking to start creating stacks again. What I have available to me right now are OS X .zip files of HyperCard (the creation application) in several flavors: I'm looking at 2.3 as what I'd prefer. I cannot unzip the OS X .zip files in any way making the contents usable in system 7.5.3. Is there any way for a PC user to get these files open correctly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:34 am 
Site Admin

Shoot. I didn't realize that you need the creator. Yeah... what I gave you will not help.

Not sure how to open the .zip files. Never tried that. Someone else might know.

You should try to find another archive of hypercard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:40 am 
Site Admin

"Moreover, I have a copy of Hypercard that is in .sit.bin format"

If you link to this, I can check it out. Maybe it is usable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:51 am 
Space Cadet

I greatly appreciate your help with this. I've put these on RapidShare, I hope that's ok. If not, I can repost them somewhere else.

From what I understand, the problem with the .zip files has something to do with Mac file structure, and its keeping of 'Finder data' and file-tree information. When I try and extract those in windows, I'm losing key data.

Here is the .sit.bin
HyperCard 1.2.5E.sit.bin through RapidShare
MD5: 11ECCE4468CB8C1DF6DDF55BB6846952

And, I didn't mention this, but I have a beta that is a .smi file.
HyperCard 2.4.16.smi Beta in English through RapidShare
MD5: B8CCC777F1214AA8B7F8F6963B5DA1E9

And just in case someone would like to see the .zip (I may be misinterpreting what I have, as I'm not terribly familiar with Mac file types)
HyperCard 2.3.zip in English through RapidShare
MD5: A20ED154CF0A4C202CFE2E460C4B1D18

[edit: I should say, I'm familiar with Windows-made .zip, just not Mac :lol: ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:17 am 
Site Admin

"HyperCard 1.2.5E.sit.bin through RapidShare"

This file works.

I cannot expand the archive in Mini vMac, but I can in Basilisk II, using Stuffit 5.5.

When expanded, it produces three disk images that can be mounted using Disk Copy. Mount the disk images, and run Hypercard!

However... Hypercard is screwy in Basilisk II. So I copied the disk images over to Mini vMac, mounted them in Disk Copy within Mini vMac and it worked okay.

That's sort of complicated. Can you follow what I'm suggesting?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:19 pm 
Master Emulator

You should know that .sit files have THREE versions: 1.5.1, 3.0 and 5.0. Stuffit 5.0 files cannot be unstuffed with Stuffit Expander 4, which is the latest that runs on a 68000 Mac.
.sea files are .sit files with a resource fork containing an extractor program. Even if the resource fork of a .sea file is lost or damaged, Stuffit Expander will still unstuff it.

However, Disk Copy 6 compressed .img image file uses the resource fork to store essential metadata. If its resource fork is damaged or lost, nobody could recover the files inside the disk image.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:11 pm 
Space Cadet

@ClockWise
You are a godsend. I've been trying for forever to get this done, and now I've done it. I'll work on that .zip file over time and see if I can get stuffit 5 to recognize it and unpack it too so I can have the updated version, but 1.2.5 does everything I want it to.

@yksoft1
Thank you very much for the information. I realize now that the .sit.bin is clearly a Stuffit 5.0 archive, as none of the others recognize it.

Also, I'm using MountImage1.2b2 to mount the disks and it's working like a charm. Interestingly enough, the file names were too long for System 7 (31+ characters), so the extension (.image) was severed... It seems like this doesn't matter for MountImage, so I'm ok with that.

This is the most helpful forum I've ever used across the entire webosphere/interblags.

Incidentally, the only version of stuffit 5 I could find was stuffed in stuffit 3.6 format :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:12 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the kind words!