Diablo "1" on OS 9.0.4 using Sheepshaver

About unsupported SheepShaver configurations, like COI (Chubby Bunny), SheepShaver Wrapper, etc.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

iNar
Space Cadet

Diablo "1" on OS 9.0.4 using Sheepshaver

Post by iNar »

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to install the original Diablo Mac game on an emulated OS 9 system via Sheepshaver. The version of Sheepshaver that I used was the COI "Chubby Bunny" version, and so far it seems to work just fine.

Included with that version were 3 harddrives that auto-mount in the classic environment. They are .dmg files in my OSX (10.6.8) Users/Shared/ folder, and are automatically recognized by Sheepshaver (they are accessed via the OS 9 desktop).

The version of Diablo I have came in a .toast file that can be mounted to my OSX desktop. I've tried many things to get it to appear in Sheepshaver, but I haven't had any luck. The instructions that came with Sheepshaver say to drag and drop any classic applications into the harddrive(s) in the Users/Shared/ folder (on OSX), but the mounted harddrives won't accept the file. To clarify, I've tried dragging the entire .toast file, and the specific file for the Diablo installer that is listed as a "classic" application in Mac OSX.

As far as I can tell, everything should be compatible. I did do a search to see if others had a similar issue, and the most relevant topic can be found here: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6816

In that thread, the user identifies that he has had problems transferring the Diablo file to OS9 system as well. However, because of this thread: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5559 I know that the game is compatible with this set-up.

...which leads me here! I can't figure this one out. Can anyone give me some advice as to how I can get this game up and running? I can provide more information if it is needed, though I hope I've given enough to give you all some idea of what is wrong.

Thanks again for any help you can provide!
kataetheweirdo
Master Emulator

Re: Diablo "1" on OS 9.0.4 using Sheepshaver

Post by kataetheweirdo »

I usually just attach the toast image as a hard drive, and that's what seems to work the best for me.

You might also want to unlock the hard drives first, then check to see the size of the toast image and see if that is why the hard drives reject it.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

COI is limited to showing these disks on the desktop (when placed in /Users/Shared):
disk /Users/Shared/400Meg.dmg
disk /Users/Shared/800Meg.dmg
disk /Users/Shared/1200Meg.dmg
disk /Users/Shared/MyOldHD.dmg
disk /Users/Shared/COIHD.dmg
and files placed in /Users/Shared/ through the Unix disk.

To add a .toast image as a disk you would need to edit the preferences file, which is buried inside the COI application package, as COI doesn't use the normal SheepShaver preferences file.

We don't support COI.

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You could try to recreate the original CD from the .toast file (burn the .toast file as CD, not burn the .toast file on a CD or burn the files on the .toast volume on a CD), insert the CD and launch COI.
iNar
Space Cadet

Post by iNar »

When I right-click the .dmg file for the hard drives and use "get info," it shows that the "locked" box is unchecked. So I guess the hard drives were never locked? Unless you're talking about another way to check if they are locked?

I know that COI can only recognize the file names you've listed, Cat_7, but in the readme that is included inside of the emulator, it states that: "Each volume can be double-clicked and mounted on the OSX desktop so that you can drag your legacy files onto it." Wouldn't that mean that I should be able to drag and drop the application file onto one of the hard drives, even if I can't mount the .toast file as a hard drive itself? I'm just a little confused as you why the COI hard drives won't recognize the application file when the Diablo installer is listed as a classic application in OSX.

Lastly, could you clarify your suggestion, Ronald? Well, you were perfectly clear, I just mean that I'm not sure I understand! If I right click the .toast file, I have the option to "Burn Diablo CD.toast to Disc". Is that what you are telling me to avoid doing? How do I accomplish what you are suggesting?

Also, I have the latest version of SheepShaver (the non-COI version), but I couldn't find a compatible ROM file to get everything set-up, so COI seemed like an easier choice. Either I'd have to download the ROM file (and they are somewhat hard to find), or I'd have to find a disc with one on it and go from there. I have an old imac that runs OS9 but I don't know where the disc is, and it's been some years since I've had it set up, thus me going the path of the emulator. I'd assume that linking to a ROM file is against forum rules, so I guess the easiest thing to do is to try and figure out how Diablo can install on the COI sheepshaver. I'm not opposed to trying to get the other version up and running, but it seems like a larger problem than the one we are currently trying to solve.

Sorry for the wall of text. Thanks again for the help.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

iNar wrote:"Each volume can be double-clicked and mounted on the OSX desktop so that you can drag your legacy files onto it." Wouldn't that mean that I should be able to drag and drop the application file onto one of the hard drives, even if I can't mount the .toast file as a hard drive itself?
Yes, you should be able to copy files from the .toast image to those disk images in OSX. You need, of course, to mount both the .toast image and the .dmg image in OSX by double-clicking and then drag the files between the mounted volumes in OSX. This should be done without SheepShaver running and the .dmg volume needs to be unmounted before you start COI. Never have those volumes mounted in OSX and in SheepShaver at the same time.

It is possible, however, that the installer will not run when not on the original CD or that the game will not run without the CD present.
Lastly, could you clarify your suggestion, Ronald? Well, you were perfectly clear, I just mean that I'm not sure I understand! If I right click the .toast file, I have the option to "Burn Diablo CD.toast to Disc". Is that what you are telling me to avoid doing? How do I accomplish what you are suggesting?
That is indeed what you should not do. Launch Disk Utility, choose Burn... from the Images menu, navigate to the .toast image, click the Burn button and follow directions.
Also, I have the latest version of SheepShaver (the non-COI version), but I couldn't find a compatible ROM file to get everything set-up,
The setup guide contains hints about where to find a rom file.
Elyus
Tinkerer

Post by Elyus »

It's quite a coincidence I came across this topic! I have been working the last few days on getting several older Blizzard games running in SheepShaver. Diablo runs very well, including BattleNet connectivity. However, Blizzard games are very adept at determining non-original media; that is, if you intend to run the game from an image, it can be difficult to trick the game into the thinking the actual CD is in the drive.

Regarding your question, there are two methods I use to mount CD images in SheepShaver. The first has been suggested here already (add the image as a volume to the guest machine's preferences), but this is a little hard in Chubby Bunny. While this option works well for almost every game I've tried, it typically will not work for Blizzard games. I know that it does not work for Diablo v1.09, the latest Mac version.

So you will want to use the following method. First, you need a virtual CD mounter, which can be obtained here from Macintosh Garden. Copy this application into your emulated system.

Next, copy the entire toast image into SheepShaver. I see that you have been having trouble at this point, so rather than copying the toast image into one of the hard disk images from the Mac OS X side, you may want to try placing "Diablo CD.toast" directly in the /Users/Shared/ directory. Then, in the emulated system, I believe Chubby Bunny has something like a "1200MB" image that mounts on the desktop? You would need to open the "Unix" volume and copy "Diablo CD.toast" into one of those images on the desktop. Wherever you place it, it must not be in the "Unix" volume, or it will not mount.

Once the image is inside SheepShaver and off of the "Unix" drive, you should be able to open the Virtual DVD-ROM/CD utility and mount the Diablo image. This method works for me when running Diablo, Warcraft II BNE, Starcraft, and Starcraft Brood War, all of which run very well in SheepShaver. In case you are interested, Diablo II runs great as well, but I have not yet gotten BattleNet working. Warcraft I has problems with inconsistent game speed, and it uses a mixed-mode CD, so I'm still having issues getting the game music playing.

I hope this helps with your problem!
iNar
Space Cadet

Post by iNar »

Okay, I have some good news.

First of all, I'd like to thank both of you (Ronald and Elyus) for your advice, it helped me figure some things out. But, sadly, I still can't install Diablo to COI Sheepshaver... I downloaded the virtual CD mounter as you requested, Elyus, but I couldn't even copy THAT file to the COI hard drive for some reason. Although the drives were saying they were unlocked, when I looked at the permissions it said "read only". As Cat_7 pointed out, the permissions file must be buried somewhere inside of the application package, so I just gave up on COI. It downloaded nicely and required zero-effort to install, but I just couldn't figure out how to install stuff on it.

It helped to follow the set-up guide for standard SheepShaver again, since I managed to find a ROM file and an OS download. Oddly, once I renamed the ROM file, SheepShaver booted as though it were perfectly installed. After following the set-up steps, I think it booted the way it did because it used some of the COI files to fill in any gaps during the install. I had to change the preferences to what is found in the set-up guide since it was configured differently because of the COI files.

In any case, when it booted it recognized the Diablo CD (burned as per Ronald's instruction) and I was able to install the game. Now, the good news is that this version of SheepShaver seems much more easy to handle, and I also managed to install Diablo. The bad news is that I can't actually run Diablo yet because the "Classic HD" has less than 10mb left on it.

Even after modifying all of the preferences again, I think I have SheepShaver set up incorrectly, since it recognizes 6 different hard drives on the desktop (the Home drive is listed as Classic HD, alternate drives are 400meg, 800meg, 1.2gig, Unix [these are all COI drives], and the MacOS9HD drive I set up when configuring the preferences). The thing is, I think it is still using the Classic HD drive from COI as the home drive rather than the MacOS9HD drive that I want it to use. This is posing a problem because the Diablo installer will only recognize the Classic HD drive as an installation source (as well as the desktop) and the Classic HD drive doesn't have enough space to install and play Diablo.

This seems like an easy fix, so I'm hoping someone can point out a solution. Thanks again for all the help, I'm pleased with the progress thus far. And thanks for the encouraging account of running these old Blizzard games, Elyus! It's been awhile, but I'm looking forward to enjoying Diablo again.
Elyus
Tinkerer

Post by Elyus »

So none of the images that came with Chubby Bunny will let you use them? That is interesting.

The simplest solution is probably just to toss all of the unusable images and create a new one that you can use. To do this, open the SheepShaver preferences and click "Create" under the volumes tab, and then name a new image and give it a suitable size. It sounds like "Classic HD" is your boot drive, so your new image will become a secondary drive and you can install Diablo onto it.

I'm curious as to what your preferences file looks like after running Chubby Bunny. Could you post the contents of it? To do this, simply open a terminal window and type "open .sheepshaver_prefs" without the quotes.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

To get rid if your reliance on COI altogether, I suggest you do the following:

Your Classic HD is in the COI package as an invisible file. It is called COI and is only 147MB in size. That's why you need extra disks to install stuff on. You can prevent that.

If you are happy with the Classic installation itself that COI provides and you want to keep it:
Use the preferences editor to create a new and bigger hard disk (2Gb) and restart SheepShaver. You'll have to initialise the new disk, give it a name, like "Mac OS 9" and choose "Mac OS Extended" for format. Then copy all files from the Classic HD to the new Mac OS 9 disk. Go into the preferences editor and remove the COI hard disk (and the others you see listed, excluding of course the new disk you created) and restart SheepShaver. You then have an installation with one large disk. If needed, you can always create extra disks through the preferences editor.

Best,
Cat_7
iNar
Space Cadet

Post by iNar »

Here are my preferences. Keep in mind that I changed a lot of the settings when I followed through the guide, so the posted settings are't as COI-oriented as they once were. Still, here you go:

disk /Applications/Utilities/COI SheepShaver (COIV4.0.1+)/Classic.app/COI.app/.Classic.dmg
disk MacOS9.dsk
cdrom /dev/disk1
extfs Unix Folder
screen win/1024/768
windowmodes 0
screenmodes 0
seriala
serialb
rom Mac OS ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 536870912
frameskip 0
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui true
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv true
ignoreillegal false
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
ether slirp
keycodes true
keycodefile keycodes
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv true
idlewait true

I've since removed the other hard drives, but I still see the drive "unix" on the desktop, and I get the following error message:

"The alias "Launcher" could not be opened, because the disk "Classic HD", which contains the original item, could not be found"

Is this a serious error? Also, the classic HD looked like a home drive because it had a graphic... much like the home drive in OSX. The MacOS9HD appears as it did before, appearing in white like just another drive (though all the other drives are gone aside from the "Unix" drive I mentioned earlier).

At least I got Diablo to install to the MacOS9HD drive, and it now runs successfully. Looks like it'll just be tweaking from here. Thanks, guys!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

iNar wrote:I've since removed the other hard drives,
Apparently not removed from the list in preferences. Maybe removed from whatever location the image files were? Which "hard drives" (disk image files really) do you mean with "the other" hard drives. All image files but MacOS9.dsk?
but I still see the drive "unix" on the desktop,
That is the shared folder that you apparently created inside the SheepShaver folder with the name "Unix Folder".
"The alias "Launcher" could not be opened, because the disk "Classic HD", which contains the original item, could not be found"
Apparently you have an alias somewhere (probably copied when you copied the content of the previous startup volume) that points to the Launcher on the Classic HD disk that is not available anymore. Could be in the Startup Items folder in the System Folder. You can remove it. When you set the General control panel to launch the Launcher at startup, a new alias will be created to the Launcher on the new startup disk.
Also, the classic HD looked like a home drive because it had a graphic... much like the home drive in OSX. The MacOS9HD appears as it did before, appearing in white like just another drive.
I suppose someone pasted the icon on that Classic HD.

There are now seven "disks" in preferences. If you do not intend to use the removed image files, better also remove them from the volumes list in SheepShaver preferences. The other settings are OK.
iNar
Space Cadet

Post by iNar »

Apparently not removed from the list in preferences. Maybe removed from whatever location the image files were? Which "hard drives" (disk image files really) do you mean with "the other" hard drives. All image files but MacOS9.dsk?
To clarify, I posted those preferences before I made the changes. Elyus was asking about what the preferences looked like with the COI files left installed, so I posted the preferences before I deleted the drives from the preferences list (following Cat_7's advice exactly). This is what the preferences look like after I've made the changes:

disk MacOS9.dsk
cdrom /dev/disk1
extfs Unix Folder
screen win/1024/768
windowmodes 0
screenmodes 0
seriala
serialb
rom Mac OS ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 536870912
frameskip 0
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui true
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv true
ignoreillegal false
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
ether slirp
keycodes true
keycodefile keycodes
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv true
idlewait true

As you can see, it is only listing the one disc now. If the Unix disc is the folder I set up (I suspected that, but wasn't really certain), then I guess it all looks fine. I followed your instructions and found (and deleted) the launcher file. It now starts up without an error message and everything seems to be running as it should.

I suppose that means everything is solved now. Thanks to everyone for helping me through this, it made my life much easier!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Elyus wrote:I'm curious as to what your preferences file looks like after running Chubby Bunny.
This is what it looks like after running COI Chubby Bunny, in this case with COI Chubby Bunny on my desktop. You can see that rom file, boot disk image, and keycodefile are "dot" files, hidden inside the COI application bundle that is inside the Chubby Bunny application bundle.

disk /Users/ronald/Desktop/COI (Classic-On-Intel) V4.0.1 "Chubby Bunny "/COI (Classic-On-Intel) V4.0.1 "Chubby Bunny".app/COI.app/.Classic.dmg
rom /Users/ronald/Desktop/COI (Classic-On-Intel) V4.0.1 "Chubby Bunny "/COI (Classic-On-Intel) V4.0.1 "Chubby Bunny".app/COI.app/.old.rom
keycodefile /Users/ronald/Desktop/COI (Classic-On-Intel) V4.0.1 "Chubby Bunny "/COI (Classic-On-Intel) V4.0.1 "Chubby Bunny".app/COI.app/.BasiliskII_keycodes
extfs /Users/Shared/
screen win/1024/855
windowmodes 0
screenmodes 0
seriala
serialb
bootdrive 0
bootdriver -62
ramsize 268435456
frameskip 0
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui true
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv false
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
ether slirp
keycodes true
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv false
idlewait false
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sun May 20, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
Azrealgodwin
Space Cadet

Post by Azrealgodwin »

Dude, Elyus I cannot say how grateful I am that you made this post. I was working on getting Diablo 1 and other similar games with copy protection to install/run. But I kept getting stuck at the same point. Needless to say I have learned a lot about Mac OS 9 and emulation in general. To start I use windows 7 64b and run sheepshaver to get the classic mac experience. It's glitchy at first and touchy; I have probably had to restart about 1000 times in a week. Mounting the ISO images using the GUI works great for most games. Old disks I have of Mecc educational games and things work fine. And this is most preferable because you do not have to do any additional setup to start playing the games you just have all of your shortcuts set up and shut down so the VirtualOS saves your settings and Viola, the next time you open it up everything is ready to go. I have to say I started the same way the person who's questions you were answering started, downloading every mounting and ISO program I could find which is few and far between nowadays. It takes quite a while to hunt new things down for an old system. I finally solved my problem when I started with a downloaded disk (ripping my original just wasn't working for some reason but It would have if I had chosen the right settings) it was verified ISO 9660. And from what I have learned from other games .toast extension and .ISO are interchangeable. All I had to do was change the .ISO extension to .toast, download the program you mentioned above, copy it to my virtual hard disk in Sheepsaver (for me just my disk/applications/games/diablo ) then open Virtual disk mounter and mount the .toast file and it worked like a charm. Thank you a Thousand times, if I would have not read that post I could not have solved the stupid "insert Cd Rom" error that persisted for 6 days no matter what I attempted. I am going to install my favorite mac OS games into this virtual OS and when I get all my favorites (that will play) I am going to Save the entire project including ISO's as an ISO image. I have already written a .batch script for windows 32 and 64 to copy all of the necessary files and drivers to the proper folders (windows\system32\drivers for 32 bit windows\SysWOW64\drivers for 64 bit, then the entire installation to the C:\ drive and put shortcuts on the desktop and start menu) and when i am satisfied with it all I will compile it to an exe and write an Autoexec script and burn it to a dvd. It really has to be compiled to an exe so it can run as administrator by default. But my goal is to have one disk that I can put on any future windows 7 computer I have and have the entire process be automated without all of the headache of the setup and errors. If anyone on this site would like a link to It I will be uploading within the next week or so to a cloud. I don't care how old this thread is it was very relevant to my current old school craving for mac games. So much so that I decided to create an account just to thank you all. So thanks to all for this resource and Peace.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

If you can't get it working that way, and have a copy of Toast for OS 9, you can use it to mount the toast image from within SheepShaver, and it'll show up as a virtual CD. This should work.