Locked startup disk

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

calion
Student Driver

Locked startup disk

Post by calion »

It's been a long time since I've used SheepShaver. I opened it today and discover that the startup disk shows a lock in the Finder. This is an issue because prefs files, etc. cannot be created or modified. How can I fix this? The image is in .dsk format, and when I try to open it under OS X, DiskImageMounter returns "not recognized." I don't remember whether this is as it should be or not.

OS X 10.6.8

SheepShaver 2.4.20120715
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: Locked startup disk

Post by 24bit »

DSK is a Disk Copy 4.2 image most likely. OSX can not mount such files by design.
Some flavor of Toast might work.
For your locked volume, if you cant unlock with OSX, why not copy its content over to a new volume from within the emulator?
Any uncompressed DMG or a IMG should work.
It may be needed to open the System folder once to have the copied System blessed for booting.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The file name extension and creator application of the disk image are irrelevant to SheepShaver. SheepShaver only reads the data fork of the image file and ignores any resource fork (when present). The .dsk extension is added by default to the image file name when an image is created by SheepShaver or SheepShaverGUi in OSX.

Do I understand correctly that the problem is that the startup volume appears locked in the MacOS Finder in SheepShaver? Have you checked the image file in the OSX Finder Info? It could be that it is locked there or that the permissions are such that the file is not writeable for you (the logged in user).
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
calion
Student Driver

Post by calion »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:Have you checked the image file in the OSX Finder Info? It could be that it is locked there or that the permissions are such that the file is not writeable for you (the logged in user).
How simple and stupid. I should have thought to check that. That was exactly the problem. I had never used SheepShaver on this computer, and the .dsk file had retained its permissions from the computer I had moved it from.

Thanks!!