My OS History Project...

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: My OS History Project...

Post by adespoton »

mabam wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:39 pm
adespoton wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:16 pm Working again: 10.6 and 10.6 Server (Yay!)

😀
Would you mind sharing the configs?
All the needed bits are in https://github.com/royalgraphx/LegacyOSXKVM -- Royal has created a custom OpenCore in "AS_SL.zip" that's specifically for Snow Leopard on Apple Silicon. He also found that he needed to create the disk image on an X86_64 machine (still using QEMU) and then it was usable on AARCH64 as well. There's a bug in the QEMU AARCH64 (not AS-limited) TCG implementation that's not there in the X86_64 TCG implementation, and it blocks the install DVD for Snow Leopard.

So once you've got a SL image that works with QEMU TCG, you can run it in QEMU (not UTM) on Apple Silicon. And... if you insert the Snow Leopard Server DVD on a booted copy of SL, it will happily upgrade SL to SLS with no DVD-boot needed.

Network updates work just fine afterwards as well, with one potential issue: the mDNS server needs a reboot to get Software Update working.

That can be accomplished with:

Code: Select all

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist; sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist
After that, running softwareupdate from Terminal or using the Software Update feature will successfully apply all the security patches, the App Store update, etc.

The pre-installed Snow Leopard image Royal created is named sl_preinstall.img. It's rather large. I've compressed my copy to sl_preinstall.qcow2 which is 6.2 GB (and possibly shrinkable down to 3.6GB with a bit of work). If possible, best to preinstall your own copy if you've got access to an x86 machine, however.