Installing Mac OS X 10.4 in QEMU

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

that-ben
Granny Smith

Installing Mac OS X 10.4 in QEMU

Post by that-ben »

Hi, after reading the guide that says absolutely nothing about installing Mac OS X in QEMU (the guide only talks about Mac OS 9.2 and states that it's almost the same for OSX) I think it's time we clarify here how this is done, because after half an hour fiddling with it, I could not figure out how to boot the install CD of Mac OS X 10.3 or 10.4 at all. Anything I try it's stuck (waited 10 minutes) on this screen with nothing helpful in the console:

I tried a bunch of launch command variations, here's what I have so far that still does not work:

Code: Select all

qemu-system-ppc-screamer.exe -L pc-bios -boot c -m 512 -M mac99 -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" -sdl -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd -device usb-audio -g 1024x768x32 -drive "file=Mac OS X Tiger CD 1 (bootable).iso,format=raw,media=cdrom" -drive "file=Mac OS X for QEMU.dsk,format=raw,media=disk" 
Thanks
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Installing Mac OS X 10.4 in QEMU

Post by adespoton »

-boot d is needed where you're doing -boot c: this is what's causing "Trying hd:" in your screenshot.

From the instructions:
-boot d defines to boot from a drive entry marked as a cdrom, “-boot c” would define to boot from a drive entry marked as disk.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

qemu-system-ppc-screamer.exe -L pc-bios -boot d -m 512 -M mac99 -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" -sdl -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd -device usb-audio -g 1024x768x32 -drive "file=Mac OS X Tiger CD 1 (bootable).iso,format=raw,media=cdrom" -drive "file=Mac OS X for QEMU.dsk,format=raw,media=disk" 
The guide says that -boot d boot a cd image, and -boot c boots the hd image.
So the code above should boot your iso. Remove the iso drive entry after installation and change -boot d to -boot c

Best,
Cat_7
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

DOH! I knew I was missing something here, I was way too tired for this. Thanks guys! It's working perfectly fine with the proper boot media parameter... :cool:
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

A note about compatibility: Mac OS X Tiger 10.4 cannot be installed without adding the "-cpu G3" flag. It would randomly crash the QEMU program and return to Windows during the installation at different progress. I tried 3 times. By adding the "-cpu G3" flag, it installed fine the first time (and then it crashed right before rebooting) but after exiting the QEMU, changing the "boot c" parameter and relaunching QEMU, it continued to install flawlessly until the very end.

daniel78
Student Driver

Post by daniel78 »

Hello there, I am trying to install Tiger with qemu on my High Sierra Machine 10.13.3 , due to I want to demonstrate my students some vintage software. It simply would not boot from the iso-image, so I cannot install. The guide did not help further, OS9 runs perfectly. Any suggestions for 10.4? Here is my config-file:

#!/bin/bash
cd "$(dirname "$0")"

./qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot d -M mac99 -m 512 -cpu G3 -prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' -prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true'
-drive "file=PATH/TO/Tiger.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom" -drive "file=MacOS10.4.img,format=raw,media=disk" -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd -net user -net nic,model=sungem

All the best, Daniel
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

#!/bin/bash
cd "$(dirname "$0")"

./qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot d -M mac99 -m 512 -cpu G3 -prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' -prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true'
-drive "file=PATH/TO/Tiger.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom" -drive "file=MacOS10.4.img,format=raw,media=disk" -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd -net user -net nic,model=sungem
Change the path so it sets the actual location of the Tiger iso. PATH/TO should not be in there ;-)

Best,
Cat_7
daniel78
Student Driver

Post by daniel78 »

Thanks a lot Cat_7. ;-)

It is looking for over half an hour where the image is, no progress.
I also used quotation marks:
-drive "file=/Users/daniel78/Downloads/Tiger.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom"

The -cpu G4 thing did not help either.

The only thing I get is:

Trying cd:,\\:tbxi...
Trying cd:,\ppc\bootinfo.txt...

It stucks.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

There can be two reasons for getting stuck at that point:
1. the cd image is not mentioned first in the command line and you have -boot d in the command line.
2. the cd/dvd image is corrupt.

Apparently, the first is not the case in your command line, so I suspect the second.
Are you using a dvd image or the first cd of the set of four? Did you create it yourself?
You can get an image from the macintoshgarden.org site. Search for PPC OSX and download the 10.4.6 dmg. This dmg has to be unzipped and then decompressed with e.g., dmg2img and can then be used. I just tried it, it works.

If the image is OK, this should boot.

#!/bin/bash
cd "$(dirname "$0")"

-drive file=/Users/daniel78/Downloads/Tiger.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom -drive file=MacOS10.4.img,format=raw,media=disk -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd -net user -net nic,model=sungem
daniel78
Student Driver

Post by daniel78 »

Thanks. I still had a Tiger DVD and created an image with DiskUtility. I'll try the one you mentioned. My Os 9.2 by the way works perfectly!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

In that case, did you create a read/write master image or a compressed image?
What was the size of the image? it should be around 3.700.000 Kb and not 2.600.000Kb.

Best,
Cat_7
daniel78
Student Driver

Post by daniel78 »

Ah, there is the thing: it was about 2.600.000Kb.
daniel78
Student Driver

Post by daniel78 »

I give up. It still would not work. I loaded the image, install dmg2img and decompressed it.
But I still cannot boot that Install-DVD.

I tried several configs, with -cpu G3, -cpu G4, with 256 and 512k, nothing works.

#!/bin/bash
cd "$(dirname "$0")"

./qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot d -M mac99 -m 512 -cpu G4 -prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' -prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true'
-drive "file=/Users/Downloads/Tiger_4_6.img,format=raw,media=cdrom" -drive "file=MacOS10.4.img,format=raw,media=disk" -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd -net user -net nic,model=sungem
darthnvader
Mac Mechanic

Post by darthnvader »

A lot of times it's just better to use dd to make the image.

dd if=/dev/diskxx of=Tiger.iso bs=10m
Do diskutil list to see the disk number of your CD/DVD and replace /dev/diskxx with the numder of the disk.

Then I find this command works better:

qemu-system-ppc -m mac99 -M 512 -cdrom Tiger.iso -hda your.img -boot d
daniel78
Student Driver

Post by daniel78 »

Thanks a lot. Finally these commands did the trick for me, don't know why: -cpu G4 -g 1024x768x32
Dan Solo
Space Cadet

Post by Dan Solo »

Hi
I know this post is a little old. Thanks to the devs and moderators running this site. I'm enjoying the world of mac emulation and I appreciate the support.

It would be nice to get an full updated 10.4 version as it differs quite a bit from older versions.

I just noticed and I'm not sure if it matters that the cd image is an ".img" using dmg2img as opposed to an "iso?" I've actually got the server to install however it's not finding the drive I made, so I'm going to try another version with the iso. I think the server version is overkill anyhow...

Thanks
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Dan Solo wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:32 pm Hi
I know this post is a little old. Thanks to the devs and moderators running this site. I'm enjoying the world of mac emulation and I appreciate the support.

It would be nice to get an full updated 10.4 version as it differs quite a bit from older versions.

I just noticed and I'm not sure if it matters that the cd image is an ".img" using dmg2img as opposed to an "iso?" I've actually got the server to install however it's not finding the drive I made, so I'm going to try another version with the iso. I think the server version is overkill anyhow...

Thanks
I'm not quite sure what you're asking here? QEMU-PPC can support all versions of 10.4, and has done so for years now. I've got it running 10.4.11 without difficulty.

dmg2img should create an appropriate "iso" style image for using on a non-Macintosh host.

If you're really asking for someone to give you a copy of the DVD... this forum isn't the place for that. You want somewhere like the Macintosh Garden.
Dan Solo
Space Cadet

Post by Dan Solo »

Thanks for the reply.
I had no problem getting images. I just wondered if the .img .iso would be a problem and it wasn't. I have a 10.4 screamer fpu version running now.
Just a few issues. Is there a way to get the text or image clearer? I've adjusted resolutions and smoothing and it looks like bad. Actually your older version looked better then the newer version. I have no internet and no easy way to import software unless I make apple isos. I guess the standard network commands don't work as described in the tutorial? Having an ability drag files on to the desktop would be ideal. I may try that folder option. This version seems more difficult to use then sheep shaver.
Xii-Nyth
Space Cadet

Post by Xii-Nyth »

Ive been able to get 10.0 to work but not 10.4,is there a particular version of 10.4 I need to get? I know that certain ones don't have sound working etc so I was wondering if theres a recommendation.
Secondly is there any support for x86? The game I want to run is gonna kill a ppc..
Then again my expectations for a ppc might be lower since ive really only played sim city 2000 which is from 1993 or something.

Heres the 2 sets of code Ive used:

qemu-system-ppc.exe ^
-L pc-bios ^
-M mac99,via=cuda ^
-m 2048 ^
-prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' -prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true' ^
-boot d ^
-drive file=MacOSX4.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom ^
-drive file=MacOSX4.img,format=raw,media=disk ^
-netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01 ^
-device VGA,edid=on ^
-g 1920x1080x32

qemu-system-ppc.exe ^
-L pc-bios ^
-M mac99,via=cuda ^
-m 512 ^
-prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' -prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true' ^
-boot d ^
-drive file=MacOSX4.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom ^
-drive file=MacOSX4.img,format=raw,media=disk ^
-netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01 ^
-device VGA,edid=on ^
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

What exactly happens? You get to the yellow openbios window and then Qemu will not boot the dvd image?
Several dvd images available on e.g. the macintoshgarden will not boot, possibly due to the fact that they were not created as a disk image but as a partition image.

Not that it matters for booting, but you would be better off with via=pmu for OSX 10.3 and 10.4.
If you want to run a game that needs accelerated graphics, Qemu will not do. Having sound support depends on the Qemu version you use, not the OS X version you install.

We do not know about qemu emulating x86 over here, but I assume you might be able to run x86 versions of OS X with qemu-system-x86_64 or qemu-system-i386. You would have to search the net for that.

Best,
Cat_7