A standalone System 7.6.1 setup using BasiliskII

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: A standalone System 7.6.1 setup using BasiliskII

Post by emendelson »

Private message sent...
dwengemar
Space Cadet

Post by dwengemar »

Thank you. The older version works just the way I remembered it.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I was able to fix the current version by opening it in 64-bit Windows 7 and recompiling the startup AppleScript. It should now work correctly. I have no idea why it didn't work in 64-bit Windows 7 before this but does now...
dwengemar
Space Cadet

Post by dwengemar »

It does seem to work now. Thanks again.

A minor nitpick: Is it possible to have the install script select the Sound output device to "Built-in" by default?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I've now added a System 7.5.5 version; same download link that you can find through the search on the first post in this thread. The app is codesigned.
KelleyM
Space Cadet

Post by KelleyM »

THIS might be the topic I was looking for!

So yes, how do I add the disk image?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

On the page that you will find doing a search for "Mac OS 9 for OS X/macOS" (also the page where you found the download link to the "System761" application), you will find instructions for use, including special instructions for adding disk images with System761 system:

To add or replace a disk image with the System761 system: Two methods are possible. Either hold down the Option key when starting the application and follow the prompts; or, if you only want to mount a disk image temporarily, create a folder on your home folder named "System761 Disks" (without the quotation marks). Drag into that folder the disk images that you want to mount in System761, and launch the System761 app. When you no longer want to mount those disks, move them out of the folder or delete or move the whole folder.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

As I reported in another thread, I've modified my System761 app so that you can make multiple copies of it, each with its own configuration.

One important detail about the new version: you can have multiple copies of the app if the copies (which can have their own names, of course) are in your user folder. You can't have multiple copies in the system's Applications folder - they'll all have the same configuration. But you can have a copy in the system's Applications folder and other copies in your user folder.

Direct links to a prebuilt app like this are forbidden on the forum, so search for

System761

(no spaces) and you'll find it in the first search hit on Google.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I've now added standalone setups (for running on macOS, not Windows) for System 7.0.1 and System 7.1, and have updated the System761 app. Direct links are forbidden here, but a search for

System761

will take you to the correct page (titled "Mac OS 9 for OS X/macOS").

If you drop a file on the icons for the 701 and 71 apps, the file will be copied to your ~/Documents folder so that you can easily access it from the Unix folder in BasiliskII. This file-copying feature works when first launching the app (drop a file, and the app will open, and the file will be in the Unix folder) or when the app is already running (drop the file, and then open it from the Unix folder).

In other apps (System 761, Mac OS 9), if you drop a file on the icon of the app, the file will be copied to the emulated desktop. In 7.0.1 and 7.1, this seems to be impossible.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

emendelson wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:45 pm I've now added standalone setups (for running on macOS, not Windows) for System 7.0.1 and System 7.1, and have updated the System761 app. Direct links are forbidden here, but a search for

System761

If you drop a file on the icons for the 701 and 71 apps, the file will be copied to your ~/Documents folder so that you can easily access it from the Unix folder in BasiliskII. This file-copying feature works when first launching the app (drop a file, and the app will open, and the file will be in the Unix folder) or when the app is already running (drop the file, and then open it from the Unix folder).

In other apps (System 761, Mac OS 9), if you drop a file on the icon of the app, the file will be copied to the emulated desktop. In 7.0.1 and 7.1, this seems to be impossible.
I seem to recall there's an extension you need to grab from 7.5.3 to get this working in 7.1 -- sadly, I don't think it's 7.0.1* compatible.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

adespoton wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:55 pm
emendelson wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:45 pm I've now added standalone setups (for running on macOS, not Windows) for System 7.0.1 and System 7.1, and have updated the System761 app. Direct links are forbidden here, but a search for

System761

I seem to recall there's an extension you need to grab from 7.5.3 to get this working in 7.1 -- sadly, I don't think it's 7.0.1* compatible.
It would be great if you could remember which it was - any enlightenment will be welcome.
gingerbeardman
Tinkerer

Post by gingerbeardman »

File System Manager Extension

I also think only for 7.1, but worth a quick try on 7.0.1 to confirm.

See: viewtopic.php?p=71460#p71460
• BasiliskII on iPad Pro 12.9": Macintosh IIci 32MB + System 7.5.5 + Deneba artWORKS & UltraPaint
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

That's good to know - but I think I already have that extension installed in my systems.

I remembered that the reason the file-open-on-desktop doesn't work in 7.0x and 7.1 is that the feature relies on an AppleScript feature that works in 7.61 (and maybe 7.55 but I don't remember) but not in earlier versions. I ought to have remembered that earlier.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

emendelson wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:54 pm That's good to know - but I think I already have that extension installed in my systems.

I remembered that the reason the file-open-on-desktop doesn't work in 7.0x and 7.1 is that the feature relies on an AppleScript feature that works in 7.61 (and maybe 7.55 but I don't remember) but not in earlier versions. I ought to have remembered that earlier.
Yeah; the File System Manager is needed for any "UNIX Drive" to exist but there's another extension that adds Apple Event mappings that aren't available by default. It's been a long time since I've messed with it, but if I recall which one it is, I'll post :)
gingerbeardman
Tinkerer

Post by gingerbeardman »

Ah, thanks both. Let's see if we can figure this out!
• BasiliskII on iPad Pro 12.9": Macintosh IIci 32MB + System 7.5.5 + Deneba artWORKS & UltraPaint
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

And IIRC, the File System Events plugin or whatever it's called (Applescript plugin or init, can't remember which) doesn't work at all with 7.0.x because that part of the AppleScript framework didn't exist yet. But again; it's been around 20 years since I've messed with it at all.
gingerbeardman
Tinkerer

Post by gingerbeardman »

Officially it was introduced in System 7 Pro (7.1.1) but before that you could install early/beta releases.

eg. Apple Developer CD, July 1994: AppleScript™ Setup

And one of my 1994 Magazine CD-ROMs has AppleScript™ Setup 1.1
http://discmaster.textfiles.com/browse/ ... etup%201.1

Also at https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/applescript-11
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

gingerbeardman wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:28 pm Officially it was introduced in System 7 Pro (7.1.1) but before that you could install early/beta releases.

Hmm... yes, I think 1.1 is the version that can work on 7.1. I don't recall ever getting it to work properly on 7.0.x, but it's worth a try.

For System 6... there's always MacroMaker. But then, modern BII doesn't work on System 6 anyway (although I believe one of the repos fixed the code so that you can compile a System 6 target again?)
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

gingerbeardman wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:28 pm Officially it was introduced in System 7 Pro (7.1.1) but before that you could install early/beta releases.

Amazing! I never knew about that. Thank you. It was fairly easy to modify my System71 app so that you can drop a file on its icon, and the file will then appear on the BasiliskII desktop. I'll upload the new version in the next few days. Thank you again!
gingerbeardman
Tinkerer

Post by gingerbeardman »

Excellent!
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I've now uploaded an update to my System 7.1 standalone app, which, thanks to gingerbeardman on this forum, includes a feature that lets you drop a file on the app's icon (whether or not it's already running) and the file should be copied to the BasiliskII desktop. Direct links are forbidden in this forum, but you can find it by searching for

Mac OS 9 for OSX/macOS

and it's on the same page with the Mac OS 9 system. I haven't got around to updating the page to describe the new feature in the System71 app. Thanks again to gingerbeardman.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

emendelson wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:44 pmDirect links are forbidden in this forum,
To clarify: Direct links to copyright or EULA protected materials are not allowed in this forum. This includes OS installers and installations. With a few exceptions,
gingerbeardman
Tinkerer

Post by gingerbeardman »

How about indirect links? For example a link to google search results, which in turn contains the link to the website in question?

And what about the version of Mac OS System 7 that Apple made available as a free download?

Just for total clarity.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

gingerbeardman wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:53 am How about indirect links? For example a link to google search results, which in turn contains the link to the website in question?
We usually give indications like, in this case: Search the web for "Mac OS 9 for OS X/macOS"

And what about the version of Mac OS System 7 that Apple made available as a free download?
The System 7.5.3 multipart installer, as it was once distributed by Apple as a free download, is now available on our site. It is linked to from the BasiliskII setup guides in our wiki.
KnuddlMac
Granny Smith

Post by KnuddlMac »

Yum,yum! -

I haven't been around for a while and now I found these delicious bytes.

Now of course my question: Can I connect to my Apple Network through Ethernet?
The Chooser is inside the Apple Menu, but I can't select my AppleShare.
Ethernet settings are already correct and AppleTalk is ON.

Can this be configured with system disks or would that mean to compile a new image?